TWRA opening up Commercial fishing on Watts Bar, But prohibits harvesting catifsh

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ShilohRed, Aug 24, 2008.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    TWRA PROPOSES 2009 SPORTFISHING CHANGES

The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency Fisheries Division presented its proposed 2009 sportfishing regulation changes during committee meetings at the August meeting of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency that was held at Pickwick Landing State Park.

In addition at the meeting, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission announced that they will revise the commercial fishing proclamation to allow commercial fishing at Watts Bar Reservoir, but specifically prohibit the harvest of contaminated catfish:big_smile: and buffalo. The gill net restriction will also be reinstated to protect the striped bass fishery.

The following are TWRA’s proposed changes for by region and statewide for 2009:

Proposed Changes-Region I

* Establish the statewide smallmouth bass minimum length of 18 inches on Kentucky Lake.
    * Establish the statewide crappie creel limit of 15 per day at Kentucky Lake.
    * Increase crappie creel limit on Beech River watershed lakes from 15 (statewide) to 30 per day.:big_smile::big_smile:

Pete

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So how are they suppost to know if a catfish is contaminated? Sounds good but I am missing something.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I think they are saying all catfish and Buffalo contaminated. So no catfish at all from the way I was thinking.
    Pete

4. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    ok maybe i am missing it ut if they not fishing for cats and buffalo........... then what exactly are they commercially fishing for ?? bluegills? lol.

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Could be doing it to allow for the harvest of asian carp, if those carp aren't in the lake already they are heading that way.

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I saw a commercial fisherman at caney creek marina. Said he was going for turtles. He was using catfish heads for bait.

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What's with this 18" Bass deal. it's already 15". LOL
    18" is about 4-5 pounds.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Its called catch and release..:cool2: I am glad to see it go to 18" And would rather see it catch and release on Smallmouth. Small mouth bass bring in a lot of $$. And way to many take out lots of 5+ lb smallmouths..I love to fish and does not matter what., Smallmouth, Largemouth, Fresh water Stripes, Crappie, Shoot even catfish.
    But the Small Mouth bass is something that gives me a :big_smile:. And its about that time in Tn.. I catch quite a few 5+ lb small mouths on the years I get to fish for them. .
    Also that is only on small mouth bass. Not large mouth or Ky spots...
    Pete

9. mrmikewattsbar

mrmikewattsbar New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I live on Wattsbar and fish it every week year round (when im not out of state working). There really isint alot of "commercial" fishing going on that I have seen. Not sure if they mean commercial as in guided or as in mass fishing for sale to stores and resturants. We have a few guide services for Stripes,hybrids,small n large mouth bass,due to the fact that some bigones are caught often on the river in this area. Wattsbar has really become a clean area in the last 10 years, but I cant see commercial fishing vessels flocking to here.
    I hope in the future I dont see a big increase in traffic on the water here. Wattsbar is kind of a unknown jewel of the TN river. Never had a night where I didnt catch at least 4or5 6lb plus channel cats. The "regulars" that are out fishing alot like me on the lake all know each other and are some of the most helpfull and nice people ya ever met. And as far as contaminated??? In the last 5yrs the cats I have caught are some of the cleanest, sharpest, shiney cats I have ever seen.

10. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    when they flooded wattsbar they took land from my family,what isnt widely known is that before it was flooded tva buried old transformers thereand didnt dig em up when they flooded it. thats why the cats are considered contaminated. my freinds have a houseboat there and we fish at least 2-3 times a week.as far as being a hidden jewel,it is.the lake just doesnt get the credit it deserves. if you ever see a small pontoon houseboat lit up like a ufo its us.haha:smile2:

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If that's true then the pollutants will be PCBs, and that's bad; it NEVER leaves the food chain from what I've read about it.

And yea,,,,,,,,,what's to commercially fish for if you exclude buffs and cats???

12. mrmikewattsbar

mrmikewattsbar New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    if i see a lit up boat like that. well im probably beside ya.
    yup its mike

13. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    MRMIKE HAVE YOU BEEN AROUND ANY ROARING CAMPFIRES LATELY? HEHEHEHEHEH!!! MAN ITS HOT!!

14. battman

battman New Member

State:
    tennessee
    DONT GET ME WRONG,I LOVE TO FISH,AND SPEND A LOT OF TIME ON WATTSBAR,BUT THE ONLY FISH ILL EAT COMES FROM CAPTAIN Ds.

15. Skunk_Ape

Skunk_Ape New Member

State:
    tenn.
    There's not too many sections in Watts Bar Lake I'll eat a lot of anything, maybe the Emory River because I can drive down there in about 15 minutes and it's upstream from the TVA Kingston S.P. spill. And no, I've not seen too many commercial fishermen, in fact, it's been 15 years or longer, and some old codger was running a trot line. I used to see him all the time, an old country bumpkin like most of us on here. I heard he had a son killed in a car wreck and he never recovered. He used live bluegill and shad for bait, and believe me, HE PACKED HEAT. Back then you didn't run into as much riff-raff as you do nowadays.