Two units on one transducer...

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by LureheadEd, Feb 3, 2009.

1. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Can it be done ? I know with the proper switch that you can go from one transducer to another on a single unit , but what I want to do is run 2 units (exactly the same ) off of 1 transducer... Can the signal from the transducer be split ? Is the signal strong enough ?.. I thought about trying it being as I read that the trans cable can be cut and spliced... I've wanted to do this for years so rhat my back seat fishing buddie could watch the fishfinder at the same time I was... I've tried 2 units and 2 transducers, in any depth other than shallow I got interference...

2. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The unit works by pumping out a pulse and measuring the times and strength of the bounce. How would the second unit know what's going on with the first? A switch to share a transducer is possible, but why bother? I use two units with a transducer at the front and rear of the boat. With that much separation, I don't have problems with interference. Your interference might not be coming from the water. It might be in the wiring. A filter capacitor might resolve it or use a separate battery. A small one would do if only used for the depth finder.

3. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I actually have two on my jon boat..one on each side and I get no interference..they are different types and with two one of the units will show fish and sometimes structure the other does not and if I go over the area again I can see it on both if it is on the edge. If I go over an area and see a large fish I check to see if the other finder picked it up too and if it does I will sit on that one...I know, what may be a fish could be something else but it makes me feel like I'm sitting up on a big fish!

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I don't know what you're running, but most manufacturers offer a switch to use two transducers with one unit, or two units with one transducer, but it only allows you to use one at a time. In many cases the ping rate can be varied, or the noise filter used, to help eliminate interference between two units. I have run an eagle and a lowrance together without interference, and I'm currently running the lowrance and a humminbird together, although I do sometimes have to use the noise filter on the humminbird to reduce side imaging interference. The lowrance never gets interference from the humminbird, tho.

5. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    I'm in a 14' aluminum boat...When I was in a 16' Fisher aluminum, I had the Lowrance on the front (trolling motor trans.) and a Bird on the back (stern mount trans.) and would get interference... I've had the Bird with a trans. switch on the Fisher and everything worked fine...On this boat I've got a MinnKota PD 55 on the front, it's a real hassle with the sleeve mounted shaft to use the front transducer and as the trans. wire can't be mounted in any kind of safe and secure way, it just flops in the water no matter what you, so I want to go off of the rear mounted transducer for both the units if it's possible...