Two tips for new boat owners

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Salmonid, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Tip 1, when buying a aluminum john boat, make sure the battery has been in a Battery Box, I just boaught a boat, looked fine, got her in the water and realized it was chock full of pin holes ( about 30 of them) in the V rib right under where the battery was. Upon inspection, it looked great but when we got her int he water, it was a whole different story. My brother in law is a welder and said it was like paper there so he had to fiberglass the whole corner of the baot, it looks great and is plenty water tight now, also moved battery to other corner and contained in a new battery box.

Tip 2, when buying a Transom Saver, dont be a cheapskate like me, I went for the "budget" $20 dollar model that was made from 1.5" square plastic tubes, after 5 miles the first time I used it it broke and the plug end came unglued and dropped onto the highway behind me and immediately got toasted by a following car, I later retrieved it (pieces-parts) and tomorrow will try to get my money back, so do yourself a favor and spend the additional $15-20 and get a "real" one.

Just some things I learned from the last 10 days with my boat....the S.S. Smurf ( its the blue est boat you ever did see.....:eek:oooh: )

Salmonid

2. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the tips Mark. Congratulations on the new boat.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Mark.Always Use a lid on your battery box and a bungee cord or such on the lid at all times.If a battery turns over and both post touch to a aluminum boat.Catastrophe! It will ark,burning holes in the boat,and possibly exploding the battery.Also.If you even suspect the battery acid has leaked in your boat,immediately flush it with large amounts of water,and get this water out of your boat.You can flush it at the first opportunity with baking soda and water.I have spent a trouble free life time with aluminum boats and batteries.The previous owner of your boat made a mistake.peewee-williams

4. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    very good info there. tooo bad you had to learn things that way but thats how life is sometimes...

5. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Acid does love to eat that material.

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I never ground anything to the alumnum hull. It can cause captivation. The electricity causes the boat hull to self distruct in the water. slowly eating aaway the hull. run seperate Hot and Ground wires to anything electric.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

good tips sorry you had to learn first hand. I hope they refund are offer a credit for your busted transome saver

8. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the tips. I always hear you should learn from the mistakes of others because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

9. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Good tips thanks for sharing them with us. Maybe it will prevent this from happening to someone else!

10. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Just sold the pontoon...Going for a 17' aluminum v-hull. Since I've never owned an aluminum craft, these tips WILL save me some grief! Is this a great Brotherhood or what!:big_smile: Mark

11. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    you pay for what you get buy cheap get cheap stuffbut sometimes thats all you can afford

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, I dont have to worry about stuff like that now, I am no longer a boat owner..Thank god!

13. Trueblue

Trueblue New Member

State:
    California
    New boat owner to thaks for the tips

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanksfor the tips brother