Two small Brown Trout

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by Sentry Dog Man, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I usually fly fish for trout. But, today I took a spinning rod. Got on the small stream that I fish and after 15 minutes or so I was sure wishing I was using my fly rod.

Anyway, caught 2 browns and lost 2 browns using a Mepps spinner. Biggest one was about 10 inches and he was one of the two that got off.

The two that I CPR'd were maybe 7 to 9 inches. They would have made good catfish bait in the lake where I catfish.

Attached are two pictures of the individual Browns.

Attached Files:

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Sentry, nice fish, Ive been hammering the browns up here every afternoon on the Hendricksons, way sweet!!
    I often fish around Hampton, Laurel Fork, Roan Mtn,Doe, Holston, Watauga etc. Great area!!
    Salmonid

3. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Salmonid,

Gosh, I guess I can call you a "home boy", since you have been fishing my waters and know what it is like in this area.

I caught these Browns on Laurel Fork creek. Which, is where I do most of my trout fishing. I can hear Laurel Fork creek from my house. However, where I normally fish on Laurel Fork is about a 30 minute drive from my house.

Biggest Brown I have caught on the creek was 16 inches and that is a whopper for that creek. Typically, in the portion of the creek that I fish most often, a 12 inch Brown is a really good fish.

My favorite dry fly on this creek is one of my own design. Pinkish underbelly, with a gray, fly foam back and a single elk hair (bleached blonde) wing, that fans out. Normally, I tie it on a size 16 hook. It is very visible and will float high for a long time before having to whip it dry and then run it through some dry fly crystals.

Many years ago (up until about 1987) I fished nymphs or soft hackled flies (flymphs) the majority of the time and did really well, when the water was normal or at high water conditions. But, then when we had a draught (as such) around 87, I found that I was not catching as many fish. So, I switched to a dry fly and was fishing water and places on the stream I had never fished before. And, started catching fish like crazy on a "Wulff" type pattern. Anyway, I got hooked on fishing "dries" on the "Fork" and have never looked back. Back in the late 80's up thru about the mid 90's, I was catching between 20 and 40 trout (caught and released)in an afternoon's fishing. I would not start fishing until around 1 PM and then would fish till dark. Not many good sized fish but I had action from afternoon until sunset.

The 16 incher I mentioned earlier, well, I had caught him about 5 times I think it was. I watched him grow over the span of a couple or three years. I clipped one of his fins the first time I caught him (at about 12inches or a bit better). So I could identify him if I caught him again. I would always catch him in about the same place and at about the same time of day. But, he finally disappeared. So, someone either caught and kept him. Or, he got washed on down stream with flood water conditions

4. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Nice fish. I've been fishing for trout at a local lake the conservation stocks during the winter. This past Saturday I caught my limit of 4 in less the 2 hours. The largest was 13 and 3/4". I try to attack the pics of a past weekend. - Oh well it needs to be resized. I don't know how to do that yet. Maybe next time.

5. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Good deal, on your catch Steve. Hope you soon learn how to resize your pics. If you have some photo editing software, it is not hard to do. I am looking forward to seeing some of your fish.

6. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm trying to post the pics. Hope this works.

Attached Files:

7. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Yeah, Steve, it worked. Some good looking fat trout there. Thanks for posting the pix and keep 'em coming.

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Gorgeous fish. Only a few streams in the northern part of Nebraska will you catch "natural" trout. We also get the "stocked" trout during the winter. Good eating too.

SudDawg

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Those trout are a beauty. Thanks for sharing.