Two Questions

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by wildturkey, Dec 22, 2009.

1. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Can you shoot a Buffalo Bullet in an in-line muzzeloader?

Would free floating the barrel on my 30-06 with a synthetic stock work? Everything I see about freefloating a barrel is on a wooden stock. I didn't know if it would make a difference.

Thanks,
    Wildturkey

2. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jim yes to both. You may have to tinker with your powder charge but you should be able to find a good load. I wouldn't exceed the recommended charge for the bullet weight. Some people like bedding some like floating, I like floating. Most of my rifles have synthetic stocks. I run a dollar bill between the stock and barrel to make sure they are not touching. My department issue sniper rifle has a synthetic stock and a free floating barrel and it drives tacks.

3. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :0a27:

4. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks guys,
    I am going to work on the freefloating right away.

I bought a box of pre-lubed buffalo bullets-245 grain for my side lock and wondered if they would work in the inline. Now I will see how they work.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i agree yes to both, however i would shoot sabots out of the inline.

6. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am going back to buffalo bullets ! I have used sabots,& powerbelt but have had better results with buffalo by far ..!

7. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I prefer the sabots myself. Glad they are legal in my state! Scopes are legal too.

8. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    If Im not using one of my sidelocks I use the 385gr(?) Buffalo Bullet in my go to inline's. The sabots give you a little more range but those buffalo's really hammer deer. I had alot of them when I bought my first inline leftover from my CVA Bobcat sidelock.

9. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    On the pre lubed Buffalo Bullets, do you have to clean the lube off the bottom before you shoot, or does a little not hurt?

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yess, Buffalo Bullets work in inline muzzleloaders. As far as free floating a barrel in any rifle, the question is how does the rifle shoot? I always bed the actions in all of my rifles. This will assure me that the action, thus point of impact, won't shift. I shoot the rifle first to see if the accuacy or group size needs improvement. It depends on what I want it for. For a hunting rifle, if it's shooting under an inch, I won't touch it.

Some rifles shoot better with a little upward pressure on the barrel, but you have to shoot it first to see. I've seen some that shot worse after it was floated. I've got two new ruger hawheyes, one wood, one synthetic. The wood stock gun shot 3/4 inch groups, but after bedding and floating the barrel, shot under 1/2 inch. The stainless synthetic one shoots 1/4 inch grorups all day, straight out of the box! I haven't done anything to it but change out the trigger to lighten it up a bit.

Shoot the gun first. If it doesn't shoot groups worth a damn, then try floating it. If it shoots under an inch, I wouldn't touch it.

11. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am nowhere near an 1". I think I would be happy with an inch group and extreamly happy with anything under that. I haven't shot rifles much for the last 20 years, but want to start reloading and shooting more. Right now the 270 is about an 1 1/2 but the 06 is all over the place. Tried the dollar bill inder the barrel and it wouldn't fit. I am going to finish out the season with the 270 and the 50 cal. and then start getting serious about getting everything shaped up.

12. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I agree, it is just another thing that is dependant on the rifle in question.

13. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Free floating the barrel is the way to go. But bedding the action and free floating the barrel is the best way to go. The best shooting rifles have bedded actions ask any bench rest shooter.

14. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I free floated the barrel on the 30-06 and first group was 3/4 inch at 100 yds. Before that the best was about 5 to 6 inches. It only took a few minutes to do this. Thanks for the help guys.:Happy:
    Jim

15. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Glad its shooting good for you.