Two old motors

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Lynne, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    I haven't worked on outboard motors much and was wondering if a person can find the year they were made somewhere.

I have an old Buccaneer( don't think it not spelled right) I think it is around a 1954. I need two coils for it. Napa has some that look just like it that are for Johnson outboards. I think I should replace the water pump also since the motor has sat for many years.

The second motor is an old Mercury. It has no recoil starter, no gear box, just turn the motor all the way around to go backwards. I think someone might have painted it sometime. It is light blue. I would like to know the year just for my own benifit. I have it running.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Lynne Get me a model number and a serial number off both old motors and I'll see if I can run the year down for you.

If I am not mistaken I think the old buckaneer was built by evenrude and johnson. That one will be easy enough to find out.

3. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Okay Willard. Well get them this afternoon and post them tomorrow. I appreciate any help you can give me.

4. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Willard
    The 12 Hp Buccaneer Model No. 12D11B
    Serial No. 559643

The Mercury don't know the Hp. Model No. KD-4
    Serial. no. 139481

Attached Files:

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Lynn this will give you a start
    The Gale Buccaneer was made by Outboard Marine (maker of Johnson Evinrude) as a "private brand" motor to be sold to sporting goods and hardware store wholesalers. They first came out in 1950. They were a "budget" engine made to be sold outside the normal distribution market.
    Yours is a 1954 12 h/p

Now off to find the tough one the merc.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Alright this engine was manufactured in 1946-47
    It is a six h/p and is known as the KD4 Rocket

I have one of the rivels for that merc motor. At that time there was a company that came into existent to compete with merc for the out board racing small engines. I have a 1947 4 h/p champion that was mercs counter part. Gotta love those old engines.
    By the way lynne some parts can still be had for that old engine. PM me and i'll send you the link.

7. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Neat old engines. I enjoy your posts and info Willard. Thanks for helping us old engine owners.
    Bill

8. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Thank you for your help Willard. I really apreciate the help.I want to find outr as much as I can about the older enging so I can put it back into original condition. I think someone painted it and want to find out the right color. Again, thank you for your help.

9. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Seriously Willard -- you're a wealth of information and I hope you know how much you're appreciated around these parts. I may not know much, but what I have learned is from reading your posts and diagnoses. Godspeed.

10. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I love the way those old motors look. Thanks for the pics.:006:

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Gentlemen those old engines properly cared for with the right amount of oil and fuel and new plugs every so often had a tendency to run forever.
    I doubt seriously that you can buy an engine today the will last half as long as they would.

The older big ones were gas guzzlers and this guy came up with an apparatus that cut the fuel usage in half. I will try to find what the name of it was but it had a weired name and I can't figure out for the life of me why it never caught on.
    Do you think maybe it was because back then a boat owner was some of the few people that had no money worries. ( maybe so):smile2: