Two new catfish set ups here!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CJ21, Jan 9, 2010.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am looking getting two more catfish set ups

I am looking getting the new Abu Garcia® Ambassadeur® Classic Inshore Round Baitcast Reels 6500C3 it also comes with a power handle. and the new Abu Garcia 6500TCCF bronze cat reel also a 6500TCF but I need help choosing rods. I mostly fish for Channels but I will be targeting Blues and Flatheads this year.

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like some very nice reels,, Congrats,, I wouldn't be much help on rods, as I build my own,, but, others will chime in I'm sure!!
    Good luck with your new rigs!!

3. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You can't go wrong finding someone that will custom build your rods, but if your in the market for something a little easier on your wallet, there is a few that seem to be quite popular.

I myself just picked up my Second UglyStick MH Tiger and have been really pleased with it. I mainly targeted this, because I could purchase it in store, and didn't like the price of the other rods including shipping. But I think its getting better though. On the other hand The TanglingWC rod has been receiving enormous amounts of posts like its going out of style, and the TeamCatfish has been right there with it. I haven't used neither of these rods, but have seen the Team Catfish and appears to be a solid quality.

Those three are in the 60-100 dollar price range, but I think there still is many quality rods for half that. I would bet you will be able to find someone with the combo your looking at setting up, but its just a matter of your personal taste.

Best of luck

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Anything around 8-9' M-MH heck even a Hvy, Moderate to M/Fast will make sweet channel-cat rods. I just built a channel cat rod with a 8' steel head blank and its super.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    A ugly stick catfish rod is good for channels..But for flathead and blues..I havent used one but every one is going to say this to ya..lol..TANGLING WITH CATFISH!!!!!!!!!

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve heard nothing but good things about the TWC rods.They seem really versatile.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys, I been looking at the American Sprit Catfish rods, they seems like a good choice for the money! I wish St Croix bring there Classic Catfish rods back. I am really looking at spending at few dollars on rods this year.

8. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They did, their just no longer called a classic cat. The classic cats are basically the same as a st. croix premier musky series.

I just bought two of the TWC rods and really like them (although I have not caught a big fish on them yet). I am also looking to replace two of my spinning setups this year, so if Jeremy releases a spinning version I will definetely be purchasing two of them. If not I will be looking into other options. I would HIGHLY reccomend the TWC rods!

9. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Its good to see you moving up CJ, twc rods are nice, I just got one myself.

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You mentioned American Spirit, I really like mine. My favorite is the 7'6" MH Pro Series. Its a sharp looking rod that will handle most. The tip is soft enough to detect a lil strike, and sturdy enough to horse em around. Cant beat the price either. Good luck.

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys but the Ugly Sticks Catfish Rods are calling my reels :Happy:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  12. jeff18

jeff18 New Member

State:
    pittsburgh pa
    I really like 9ft berkley glowsticks. They glow in the dark at night and are strong rods. Priced reasonably too.