Two new abu garcia 6500 c3 grinding? Am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kitsinni, Jul 26, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always use abu 6500c3 reels. I have some of the older style and the new all silver style ones. I needed a new reel so I went to bass pro and picked one up. I got it home and it seemed like with any pressure on the reel at all it made a grinding noise and you can feel a lot of resistance. I added some reel oil and it seemed to go away. I went out on the river and the first fish I caught the reel was grinding and it made catching the fish a pain. So I took it back and swapped it for a new one which seemed fine untill I got my first fish on it and it is also grinding. Is there something I am supposed to do to them? I have never had a problem with one before and all the rest are the smoothest reels I have used. Now I am worried about taking it back and getting a third one that does this.

2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I've had one that was better than the other. I'd get rid of it unless you want to be a reel repairman.

3. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Sounds like a dimensional problem from the factory, Dont hesitate to return that one too!:eek:oooh:

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Just shooting from the hip here, but, sounds like maybe the spool is rubbing on the frame, possibly.. you say it's when the reel is under a "load". Check the left sideplate, be sure it's lined up and the screws are tight.. ,,,,,,Otherwise....
    Since it's new, I'd take it back again,,, That problem just isn't right...
    IF you find out what it is, be interesting to hear about it..
    Good luck on getting a good one...

5. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    I know there are alot of dedicated abu men on here but these kinds of problems with the new reels are what makes me want to avoid them. I'd take it back get an in store credit and invest in a different brand the new ones just arent as well built as the old ones :sad2:

6. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

I have two, I bought last Dec., They have worked great.
    I would take it back, and it is up to you {store credit} or {try one more time}

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am going to bring this reel back. Maybe there was a bad batch? I am not really confident in getting another from the same store though. Is there anything comparable you guys could suggest? How do the Penn reels compare?

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I recently started feeling a grinding in my 6500 Catfish Pro Rocket. Opened it up and found the main gear completely dry. A small dab of grease solved the problem. I've got 2 of these reels, and it appears that one came with factory lube and the other came without. :angry:

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio

It came with a bottle of reel oil and I tried to add some and had a little change but not much. Then I added the rest of the bottle and again maybe a little change but not much. As soon as I caught a fish it was back to the grinding. These are simply too expensive to mess with bad reels from day 1. I considered myself an Abu baitcaster man but I think I am going to look for something new.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Have to agree with that. I could have turned mine in under warranty, but being familiar with Abu 6500 internals I took what was for me the "easy" route. Another problem with fixing your own is that they don't get feedback on their poor quality control, and they are less likely to fix their problems.

Penn is a good brand, but they have nothing that will match the smaller 6500's in terms of castability. The Penn 310GTI is about as close as you will come in a level wind reel.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Try a pflueger trion 66 same size as a 6000 abu and i bet youll love it :wink: