Two moons on August 27, 2007

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    27th Aug the Whole World is waiting for.............Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August. It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will culminate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles of earth. Be sure to watch the sky on Aug.. 27 12:30 am . It will look like the earth has 2 moons. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287

Share this with your friends as NO ONE ALIVE TODAY will ever see it again

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Now that'll be cool. BTW,how do you know none of us will be alive in 2287...:confused2::smile2:

3. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thankx Phil, I wasnt aware that was going to happen. I hope someone will get some pics of that!

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is a hoax that was started in 2005. Sorry to ruin your expectations. Mars is only twice the size of the moon. It would have to come closer than 500,000 miles of earth to be of equal size with the naked eye. It will still be 3-1/2 million miles away. It will still be very bright no doubt, but not as big as the moon.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Thanks Matt, ya beat me to it. I've heard that for several years now. I check with Snopes on all such matters.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jeeez what a bunch of nit pickers!!!!!!:smile2:OK so Phil was wrong now we all have to help him salvage his reputation.All BOC members must drink TWICE your normal allocation of alcoholic beverages before 12:30 am on the 27th of AUg.That way MARS may indeed look as big as the moon or at least you wont be able to tell the differnece between the two!!!:smile2::big_smile:So drink up and help PHIL out!!!!:crazy::big_smile::eek:oooh::smile2:

7. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    And even if Mars don't look that big, you should be seeing double by that time; so two moons it is. :smile2:

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Count me in! It's been some time since I seen two moons.

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Dang, thats a monday. There is no way I'm going to be able to drink twice as much on that day, some of us have to work in the morning.:eek:oooh:
    Sorry, I can't help with your reputation Phil. Next time you spread the two moon rumor make sure it is on a friday or saturday, then I would be glad to help save your rep.:smile2:

10. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO

Nows I *HIC* Now I's *ERP* Sseeees FOUR Moons!!! WOOO!!!!!!!!

:) Regardless of the size, the brightness magnitude will be impressive. I'll be on the lookout.

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Phil: I was here when that happened the last time. It was no big deal. That's why I have been drinking ever since. I have been helping you for over two hundred years and I bet you give me no thanks.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I'm startin now. Got to save him.( let me know how it turns out) LOL

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I wanna see to moons at once.

14. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    That two moon thing is a hoax but it is half right. Mars will be very bright and will be close to earth...but not until December.

Earth and Mars are converging, setting up a great skywatching opportunity for later this year. Inner planets orbit more quickly than outer planets because of the laws of gravity. Earth requires 365 days to go around the sun once, whereas a year on Mars is 687 Earth-days. So every 26 months, Earth passes Mars on this orbital trek. As our planet catches the red planet, the distance between them shrinks dramatically. By late September, Mars will be one of the brighter objects in the night sky. The closest approach will occur in December, when Mars will be brighter than every star in the sky.

15. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    I have seen two moons at once, and i liked it. I would like it to happen again, but I dont think my girl is willing to bear all with another girl for me.

16. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    lol i know the feeling but thats why men have their imaginations lmao :big_smile::wink:

17. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Crap! Are you what a geek looks like in Illinois....that's only one state away.
    Get out the boat hoss, you are scaring me! LOL, (Just teasing)

18. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    too much faith in the internet,:roll_eyes:

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    thanks for covering my back Jim:smile2:

20. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    matt, it said it will LOOK as large as the moon...because of its brightness, no doubt...it said NOTHING about appearing to be of equal size:wink: