Two Men Missing after Boat Capsizes near Ste. Gen, MO

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Grumper, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I just found out that two men went missing Wednesday afternoon when the 16ft boat they were out on the river in capsized. Apparently the boat ran out of gas, and they hit something, maybe a barge, according the the water patrol. Apparently it was this guy's first time out in his new boat. The search is still ongoing, so let's all pray for the families that these guys are found alive.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bad deal Gary. Thanks and prayer and hope for the best.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Trolling motors and Life Jackets Guys. Please be safe out there. Prayers to their families.

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Yep. A good strong trolling motor is a must. Let's just say it's saved my life before. It's kinda dejavue though, being that I rescued a guy who was drifting last Sunday night. If was his first time on the river in his new boat too.:eek:oooh:

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ive been seein way to much of these trajic events lately.

I have an idea. How bout we (Gateway and BOC Members) come up with 10 Boating Commandments as they apply to Catfishing. We can work with it and tweak it, then well publish it in a sticky.

I'll Start.

1. Lifevest, ALWAYS when under power and in swift water setups.

6. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    2 Lifevest, ALWAYS !!!!!

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    3. Don't test out the "reliability" of a new boat in a river with 6MPH current.:crazy:

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    That is horrible news. It just reconfirms my thinking, their is alot of responsibility that goes along with a boat.

Jaime

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Unfortunately boat dealers are like motorcycle dealers. If ya got the $$$ sure they will set ya up in a new ride. Personally i feel a license or at the minimum boater education should be made mandatory. I worked on towboats for years and a downstream tow flanking a bend for one can't see ya usually, and if the do can't get it stopped. It's up to the individual to get out of the way. The red and blacks are put there for a reason, and yes during high water a pilot often cuts across if they know the waters deep enuff.

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Cell phone's a must / Take some one with ya if you can / Flare gun (sporting good store around $10-20 bucks) / Gas in your boat / change of clothes / first aid kit / phone numbers of club members that fishes that area

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    VHF Radio. Which reminds me....I've got a handheld for sale, CHEAP!:wink:

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Grumper, you ALWAYS have something for sale CHEAP. LMAO UH OH, I might have opened a can of worms there. :wink::smile2:

13. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    Grump sale me a outboard for cheap:wink: real cheap

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Don't throw your bait away before you are rescued (Ryan), you could possibly fish another hour and a half before help arrives.:smile2:

And you all KNOW that I will always say lifejackets and folks promise to start wearing them after every tragedy, like the one at Weldon Springs recently. Still seeing most folks on the water without them on though.

Trolling motor is a must like Gary stated. I haven't HAD to use mine yet but I sure feel better knowing it is handy and that the battery is charged.

15. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    when anchored in swift current always and i mean always keep a sharp knife next to the anchor rope

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    How cheap we talkin'? I would really like to get one, but haven't really had the "extra" cash to break down and get one. Maybe I few GPS coordinates of my extra special spots?! :wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

J/K! Really though, how cheap?

You can send me a text or PM if you want.:wink:

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Willy find me a alum. boat that will run my 75 hp. and i'll fix you up with a nice 150 yammy.:wink:

18. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis

Hey John, PM me your e-mail address maybe we can work something out:wink:

19. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I wouldn't mind a 150 yammy!!! :big_smile: Is it a four stroke?