Two men caught with gill net

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by billcatfish, Mar 30, 2007.

1. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    on the news 2 night the Ind. dnr put to guys in jail for running gill nets in the wrong places by what the dnr said they are trying to stop all the gill netting

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    good to hear DNR is enforcing the laws

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That is the best news I have heard in a long time!!!

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great news, hope they enforce the laws and nail em all.

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good to know they are taking things seriously... Im tired of having to do it.. cuts into my fishing time...

6. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    good to hear.....gill nets should be kept in there place....if you wanna get all the fish out of your pond to transport or to drain your pond, thats your business...but in public water should produce a hefty fine and possibly jail time

7. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    awesome, its about time they've done something about it. which news channel reported it?

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I have to go with JW on this. Gill nets have a place and if used in accordance with the law I guess they are ok, but my self have gotten my motor hung up in Gill nets and see them pulled acrouss the whole mouth of rivers and channels here. I wish they could catch the bone heads who are doing this.

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    an up date on this on monday the 4/23/07 they just busted 2 more guys for the same thing as fare as i care hope they get ride of all of them

10. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    billcatfish...the guys busted at Markland Dam on Mon. were snagging and selling the eggs, and going over legal limit. Also the news said that it was illegal to snag at markland but personally I think they were wrong on that one.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    OUTSTANDING. Dis Make Cuz Berry Berry HAPPY. :big_smile:

12. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    i hread they were sell eggs out out spoonbills

13. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    They need to confiscate everything associated with the crime. Including vehicles. (They had to get there some way.) A slap on the wrist doesn't do any good. This is the only way individuals will understand that breaking the law doesn't pay. If they want their items back, the DNR can hold an auction and they can purchase them back. WIN WIN situation for the DNR and sportsmen.

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Cool, maybe we can get the local DNR folks to take over the borders and deal with the influx of Illegel Mexicans too.:lol: Just kidding

Good job guys!

15. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo

hahaha im not :lol:

but great they are finally starting to pay attention to illegal fishing.

16. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    When my uncle lived in Montana he got a chance to snag spoonbill at the head of the Missouri, I think. Anyhow the game and fish took your fish from you as soon as you landed it, cleaned it, filleted it, and give you a bag of meat back. The GnF kept the eggs. They are sold as caviar. ?For such blatant disregard to such a delicate resource Ihope they revoke all Priveledges associated with the state; i.e. fishing, hunting, trapping, ect.
    Maybe a thousnd hrs of community service cleaning up riverbanks wouldnt bebad either.

Dru:sad2: :angry:

17. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Heres an article from one of the local stations in Evansville. It will be interesting to see if all the unmarked gill nets will be out this weekend. :cool2:

DNR catch illegal caviar ring

April 24, 2007 05:09 PM

New Media Producer: Amanda Lents

Officers arrest 12 people from southern Indiana for allegedly running an illegal caviar ring.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources says members of the ring caught paddlefish from Ohio River tributaries and then sold their eggs as caviar.

One paddlefish can yield as much as $800 in eggs, and annual income for those who catch them can range from $100,000 to $400,000.

18. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thats a lot of bread!!!!!! 1 year and i could take a 4 year vacation. the consiquences better be steep or it wont stop them when your talking about that much money.

19. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think the COs nailed a caviar ring a couple years ago too! I remember I was at the in-laws in IL flippin' through the TV stations & seeing a bunch of guys in what looked like Indiana CO uniforms. Sure enough, Animal Planet had an hour show on the DNR's sting operation to catch these guys. Like I said, that was a year or two ago...sounds like you're right River Scum, penalty wasn't enough to deter someone else from doing the same thing.

20. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have no problem with anyone useing legal methods to catch fish but when it hurts the resource its wrong.i used to go to milwood lake in south arkansas and snag spoonbils to have a fish fry for the church.the arkansas game and fish opened the river from the dam to the red river for commercal fishing and now you can hardly catch a spoonie.