Two hook setup

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by LMHart, Aug 5, 2009.

1. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Just came across the two hook set up on wild wolf's site. I have used them before we just called it a stinger hook but it was mostly used in a trolling situation for walleyes or stripers. I must admit it never crossed my mind to try such a setup.

Was wondering if anyone uses them and if they have noticed an increase in hook sets compared to hit/runs.

**Note - Not asking for how to tie them. If I decide to use them I can tie them or I will buy them from our sponsor.

2. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Never used them myself but my Dad used to use them all the time Cattin in Connecticut. More bait out there means more hits most of the time. Only problem I could forsee is the tangle between the 2 hook leaders. Wouldn't hurt to try em out...

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Here in California at the beach there is a "surf rig' that is a swivelled setup that has been set up to attach two hooks.... I have several of these, and then attach snelled leaders to it to fish....the hole setup is about 30 inches long .... attach sinker... two leaders.and your in business.

Good way to use two different baits, or to see if its better down at the bottom or higher up....

bayrunner Ray

4. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    Two hooks - one pole. For katz I would use shrimp on one and shad on the other. If not gillz.

Huntin for blues, channels and flats, all at once.

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish the river from the bank and deal with coo much current and snags to deal with 2 hooks. I try to keep everything as simple as possible. I would hate the thought of having 2 #60 blues on my line at the same time.:eek:oooh:

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a two hook setup for drift fishing and it seems to work better than using one.

7. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Just what I need, two hooks. Twice the chance of hooking the bottom! :smile2:

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    A stinger hook is a hook that holds the same bait..otherwise if you have a large shad or perch you hook him in the front and also in the back with a stinger hook. Using it this way you can get a good hook up on those fish that do not take the intire bait in their mouths..also, you can use a stinger hook in Missouri and it counts as a single hook. Never used a stinger hook to run two baits though I have used two hooks on one pole and not as a stinger.

9. I was going to use a three-way swivel and have 2 lines with circles going at the same time. Was not sure if the line would tangle.
    I bet it would be great for Driftin.

sTRICTLY Catfish

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had very good success with using two baits on one line. If I am fishing with large enough bait I will use both hooks in one bait. If a large enough fish wants it they will take both baits at once though. I only use this setup for drift fishing where I have a lot of control over the lines and none of them are touching the bottom for potential snags.

In the last In-Fisherman they have an article where guys are using two sets of two hook rigs for catfishing, one higher up on the line for suspended fish. I have not been brave enough to try that rig out yet and it sound expensive.

11. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I think everyone has the wrong idea. I am talking about a bare hook about 3 inches behind the top hook. The top hook has the bait. The idea is that this is to catch the fish that short bite the bait.

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only time I have heard of using a trailer bare hook is with a treble and that is only for when you want to eat the fish because it will tear them up. If you have more info on the bare hook technique I would be interested.