Two hook Rigs?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by PaJay-p, Nov 11, 2008.

1. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Does anyone use 2 hooks on 1 line? What is the best way to rig two so you can use 2 baits? I've tried a three way swivel with two lines with hooks and a no roll sinker with a bead above the swivel. My biggest problem is that the lines with the hooks twist around each other. Any suggestion for a way to use two hooks?

2. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    You might try using a loop knots.... Loop the first hook and tie the second one on regularly.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Make you a two hook leader with your weight at the bottom

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I often use a rig similar to this when drifting an area that I am unfamilar with. It allows me to discover what depth the fish are hitting at.

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Sounds great. But if the top hook is snelled directly to the leader does that give enough room to get a good hookset?:confused2:

6. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    do you mean something like this?

Attached Files:

7. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    or this?

Attached Files:

• 8_8.jpg
      8_8.jpg
      File size:
      37.7 KB
      Views:
  8. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

This is more of what I was thinking because I like the Carolina rig. But does the top hook being snelled directly to the leader cause problems with hook setting?

9. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    i copied that pic from one of the sponsors wild wolf products. drop them a line and see if he can help you out.

10. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I stopped using two hooks when on more than one occasion a larger fish has grabbed one hook and then foul hooked itself with the second hook while fighting. The potential for breakoff isnt offset by the added hook benefit, in my opinion.
    Not only that, the only time Ive hooked myself badly was with a small channel that wiggled free and the second hook buried itself in between my index finger and thumb.

11. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Has anyone tried using two different baits on a double hook rig. Say a bluegill on the bottom hook and cut bait on the top. I'm trying to get more and different bait in the water.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have been using a double hook rig for years. And most times the bottom hook has caught the fish. Also never had any problems with the top hook being snelled to the line. Also it does not bother the hook set or it has not for me.
    The main reason for the double hook rig like this. Is when a fish short strikes the bait. It still allows the fish to get the bottom hook.

Or if I am not using the 2 hook rig like this . I am using a 3 way swivel then a 6" leader with sinker on bottom then a 12" leader off one side of the 3 way. Then 2 hooks off the 12" leader. Then 18" above that to one more 3 way swivel then a 12" leader off that one also. Then mail line tied to the top 3 way.