TWO DAYS IN THE BACKWOODS

Discussion in 'LUKE CLAYTON' started by Luke Clayton, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    "TWO DAYS IN THE BACKWOODS" by Luke Clayton

[​IMG]
    Luke Clayton

Tennessee Colony, Texas- I truly wish every sportsman reading this column could have the opportunity to experience the outdoors as I did the past two days at Big Woods On The Trinity, located in Anderson County on the Trinity River below Richland Chambers Lake. My friend Bob Mcfarlane owns this 7,500 acre backwoods paradise and the good Doctor allowed me and a few friends to partake of the adventures that only a remote setting such as the Big Woods can provide. Day one was spent with ‘Doc”, floating a 6 mile stretch of Catfish Creek. Day two was jam packed with the thrill of following a pack of hounds trained to run cats (Bobcats or Mountain Lion).

Here’s a play by play account of the event:

DAY ONE- Arrived Big Woods around noon, went promptly to the range and ‘shot in’ the new Sharps 45-70 rifle by Tri Star Arms. I was impressed. At 35 yards, first two shots almost touched but low. I adjusted by pulling more of the front bead into the sight picture and shot one more, just left of the bull. Moved to 100 yards. Took a full bead and printed 2 shots 5 inches low, 2 inches left, 2 inches apart. Took a fuller bead and shot just to the left of the bull.

THREE PM- Joined Doc and our friend Bob Hood and headed to launch the Jon Boat into Catfish Creek. Launched easily and soon found ourselves in the backwaters, far away from the sound of anything except birds, rushing water and an occasional hog squealing back in the oaks. Creek out of its banks but Doc kept us in the main channel.

Doc says high water probably pushed hogs up to higher ground but we were approaching a point of high ground. 40 yards from the water, a huge boar got to his feet, running. Cocked the Sharps and picked a hole in front of the hog. He turned right and we missed the opportunity. Sprits elevated with hopes of another encounter!

3 miles down the creek, a strip of high ground paralleled the channel. Another big boar broke out of cover and disappeared into the dense cover. No shot. Doc advises Hood to jump out and ease through the strip of timber a mile or so. We would pick him up a half mile or so down the creek. Current tricked Doc. Took right instead of left. Found ourselves out of the main channel. Backtracked quickly. Much appreciation for Doc’s knowledge of the channel. I mentally noted that I would probably spend the night on the creek if I were on my own!

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy Luke Clayton

Heard Hood shoot just before dark. We tied the boat and climbed in the Polaris and headed to meet him. He had a nice hog down! Back to the lodge and a meal of BBQ wild pork chops and pinto beans. Early to bed. A big day tomorrow with some west Texas hound men. We would try to bay a cat for photographs.

DAY TWO: Up early, made a big wok full of Chorizo sausage, eggs, seasoned with fresh jalapeno and garlic. James Burrus, his son Thomas and Thomas’ son Tyler showed up with their ‘cat’ dogs. Breakfast tacos and coffee and we were on the trail. Heath, who runs the hunting at Big Woods was leading the way. Anticipation of baying a cat for the camera was high!

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy Luke Clayton

Dogs hit a cold trail. Even to untrained eyes, it was obvious they smelled cat. Bobcat tracks in the sand verified. Spend the next 4 hours following the dogs through the back roads of the Big Woods. Hounds showed sign of one more cat but another cold trail. Saw deer, hogs and ducks. Back to camp to finish the tacos off. Found ourselves great friends and making plans for another trip to Big Woods. There is no better way to bond with folks than spending time in the outdoors. May this way of life go on forever!

Catch The Luke Clayton Outdoors Radio Show on www.catfishradio.com.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Luke, thanks for sharing, was hoping to read about a bigfoot sighting when I first seen the title. LOL :wink:

3. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    If I had to go looking for Bigfoot, itd be on CATFISH CREEK!!!!

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Great read Luke!

5. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    This style writing is patterned a bit after that of Richard Proenneke. Richard spent a year up in Alaska, built a cabin and fished and hunted. He kept a day to day journal and I find the details of his day to day life facinating.
    The world of outdoor writing today is a bit structured but I do like to step out of the traces from time to time and tell it as I see it.. I do hope folks enjoy the occasional fragmented scentences and excessive use of adjectives! Sort of a 'play by play' account of what happened!

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I thought it was fantastic Luke. The way it's written makes you feel as though you're there. As always, it's great to have all this info on the BOC, thanks much Luke!

7. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Nice touch..... Keeping it alive for us..... Thanks