Two day Kayak Trip: Flint River:

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by goshawk, Apr 29, 2009.

1. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Going on a two day Kayak fishing trip with my father - putting in Flint at GA Hwy 18 and going to stop somewhere between Goat Mountain and RockHouse Mountain to camp and fish for the night. Then the next day head on down to GA Hwy 36 (Flint River outdoor center).

Any tips, advice or stories of previous adventures welecomed.

Pat N.

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Pat, sounds like a great time. Have a safe trip and enjoy!

3. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i live not to far from hwy 18 bridge, i have not fished to much there due to my boat hates rocks and the GOD awful ramp they have there. anyway i dont know to much about the fishing around there if anyone does could you help me out and let me know how it is????? thanks guys

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck fishing. I am thinking of an all nighter this weekend myself

5. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    Hey Pat, I had and old friend who lived in Thomaston and they would fish below Hwy 36 on the flint near a place he called Gibson island. I hope this helps. Good luck!

6. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    TAKE A WATER PROOF CAMERA BRING BACK LOTS OF PICTURES

7. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Watch out for the rapids if the water is up. There's a class 4 below the outdoor center. :tounge_out:

8. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I got a hunting lease in upson by hickman and adams inland just below them class 3:tounge_out:

9. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well I'm back from my trip. I have a new personal record for catching a flat head with a pole and line. Unfortunately the record is for the smallest flat head catfish I've ever caught on a hook an line.

We camped at the Flint River Center on Hwy 36 just west of Thomaston. Fished on the opposite side of the river from the center. Fished all night, or I should say layed in my sleeping back next to my pole all night long checking it ever so often (thanks to a small bladder :)

The current was pretty strong and some green vegetation kept getting on the lines and bait. About 2 am. Pulled in this tiny little fellow that appeard to be a baby flat head. I let the little fellow go back and hopefully grow up to be a big boy someday.

The next Day we caught the shuttle from the Flint River Center to Goat Rock and floated down the Flint (about a 10 mile float). We did some brim fishing on the way down and that went well but then a big storm blew in and we had to paddle quickly back to the center where we made it in just as the storm broke loose.

Got sunburned to hell on my legs.

Not sure why but I seem to have a love - hate relationship with the Flint river. I love it because it so close and just seems like a great river to fish in, but for some reason my luck has never been that good on the flint.

Has any body floated down that class III section just after Hwy 36? I am thinking of doing it someday. Float from Hwy 36 to Po Biddy Road.

Pat Newberry

10. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Sounds like fun Pat. If you go down below the outdoor center you need to portage around the big drop (unless you're an experienced whitewater paddler). The big rapid can be class 3 or 4, depending on the water level. In other words, it can ruin your trip. LOL