Two cycle oil

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by heeler, Jun 4, 2006.

1. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    I just bought a new-to-me 16ft landua boat with a 25 horse moter.What kind of oil do you all recommend?Iwas also told to use premeum gas.Is ther any truth to that?Thanks for any help.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    what year is that motor. I have used super tech oil off the shelf for years from wal-mart. It has served me well My motors do real good and I do service them on a regular Basie's. I use 87 octane or better fuel. My opinion is there is no use in using premium fuel in a 2 stroke.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    On my 95 tracker with the 60 2 stroke I use the merc oil for it and I use only regular gas with a 87 octane. 11 years old and never a issue with the motor.

4. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    the moter is a '82.thanks for the info

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use all types of oil, when I bought the boat it came with a bag of different kinds of oil an since thats whats been run in it I'm still useing that. As far as gas I'm not going to spend more money for boat gas than what I spend on the truck.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    On an 82 model I would use 87 octane gas for it. It will work fine.
    As for oil every one has a reference and I have seen where they tested TCW-3 oils and super tech came out on top so I will stick with that. works good for me and I save a little money to.

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I got a Merc, so I use Merc's oil.

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    The type oil does'nt make a lot of difference as long as its a two cyle oil. The gas on the other hand is a different story. The lower the octane, the faster it burns which leaves a carbon deposit that fouls out plugs and causes your engine to diesel when shut down as well as makes it harder to start sometimes. If you ever hear your car or truck ping on a hard pull, thats caused by too low of an octane gas with a short duration explosion, whereas the higher octane burns slower, gives you more power plus more miles per gallon and burns cleaner with fewer tuneups, thus more cost effective in the long run. It also has more dispersence in the gas which makes the oil mix in it better with no seperation and less carbon residue, thats why almost all two cycle manufactures recommend the higher octane gas. Almost all two cycle motors whether outboards, chain saws or lawn mowers now come with a sticker that tells you to use the higher octane, they can't all be wrong or can they? I'm not trying to upset anyone who uses regular gas, just passing on a little information, I use premium gas in everything I own with a gas motor, it saves me money and helps maintain my equipment.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've owned 3 new boat motors and I go by the owners manual for oil and gas.
    (the same as I do for all vehicles, tractors or other equipment that I've owned)
    Two of boat motors called for min 86 octane and my last, a 4 stroke calls for octane min of 87. I feel you are wasting your money for higher octane than the motor calls for.

As far as oil:
    Walmarts Super Tech Outboard 2 cycle oil, TC-W3.
    Exceeds ALL warranty requirements for ALL makes of High Performance Outboard Engines. Including Mercury, Johnson, Evinrude, Yamaha, Nissan etc.

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I use the Pennzoil Marine 2-Cycle Outboard engine Oil....seems to keep my boat running nice and clean

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Here are some quotes from my 2 cycle outboard motor manuals on gasoline recommendations.1982 Mariner 8 hp.="Regular leaded,Premium,Low Lead,and Lead-Free Automotive Gasolines with a minimum pump posted octane rating of 70." 1982 Mariner 40 hp.,& 1986 Mariner 2 hp. ="Any gasoline that will satisfactorily operate an automobile engine is suitable for use in MARINER outboards in normal service.Had alcohol warnings for moisture" 1986 Mercury 6 hp.,8 hp. & 9.9 hp.=" Any good grade regular leaded (lead-free) gasoline that will satisfactorily operate an automobile is suitable for use in these outboard motor models.More and worse alcohol damage warnings." 2004 Mercury 4 hp. & 5 hp.="Use a major brand of automotive unleaded gasoline with a minimum posted octane rating of 87.Mid-grade automotive gasolines that contain fuel injector cleaner are preferred for added internal engine cleanliness.Leaded gasoline is not recommended."There are even more and worse Alcohol warnings.I had to have expensive repairs on my 8 & 40 hp.motors as the alcohol in the gas of the time ate up the hose,gaskets,etc.Alcohol seems to be on the horizon again as the people that are pushing it now are as quiet about the damages it causes as they were then.It was not even required to be on the pumps we used then.Most have no idea of the damages and cost that they will be subjected to.Most of the people paid for the repairs on all of their engines and never knew the cause.Can we afford the unseen,deliberately hidden cost again? I could then.I can not now.No! I don;t know the answer,BUT I do know that the last cure cost ME MORE than the problem.Hope this is of some help.peewee-williams

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    What a lot of folks tend to forget is that on the older 2 strokes is that you can burn anything 87 octane or better in them. Now with that said the coking or carbon build up comes from trolling with an out board to long and then shutting down right away. You need to let them idle without a load to burn up any unburned fuel that may be in them.
    You need to check your t-stats and see if they are opening at the right temp to help keep down coking. I always take my engines (all of them big and small) and I run the piss out of them to clean them out.

Sure you can buy higher octane gas and waste that extra 20 cents a gal and what it does is burn hotter so there for it will make your engine operate above the normal temp rang which cause premature piston failure.
    I as a habit use a good decarbon additive to help me in releasing carbon from the piston head and rings. (can I say enough about sea foam)

I also gap my plugs at 40 or 35 to give me a cleaner burn at no wake speeds.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mercury Quicksilver. Wal-Mart now carries it about $2-$3 a gallon cheaper than anyone.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Any good 2 cycle TCW3 oil by a reputable manufaturer will do for the oil.Keep in mind back in 82 gasoline formulations were very different from today.That engine was designed to run on LEADED gasoline which provided a lubricant for the bearings.I would use some lead substitute which tou can buy at automotive stores and mix it with your gas whichever octane you decide on.:smile2:

15. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I run a 2000 Nissan 2-stroke. I run Pennzoil TCW-3 in the motor & Pennzoil gear oil in the lower unit. I add Stabil to the gas every tank (87 octane) & about 3 tanks a year I run a can of SeaFoam thru it. 12 gallon tank...Abu65

16. catman101

catman101 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What is seafoam and what does it do?

17. catman101

catman101 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh and by the way I use merc. oil for my merc engine

18. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Gas Engine Applications

100% Pure Petroleum
    Use in All Engines in All Seasons
    2 Cycle, 4 Cycle, and Diesels
    Treats 3 Critical Areas: Gas Tank, Fuel Systems, and Crankcase
    • Cleans fuel injectors
    • Cleans carburetor jets
    • Cleans carbon
    • Stabilizes fuels
    • Upper cylinder lube
    • Removes moisture in fuel
    • De-icer<LI class=plain>Frees sticky lifters <LI class=plain>Frees sticky rings <LI class=plain>Removes moisture in oil <LI class=plain>Cleans P.C.V. systems <LI class=plain>Cleans catalytic converter odors
    • Oxygen sensor safe

19. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for all the info.I sure like picking your alls brain.heeler

20. catman101

catman101 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks abu65 I will have to try some