Two blown powerheads!!!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by 1 cattin dude, Feb 2, 2007.

1. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Last April I bought a used '99 model Mercury 25hp outboard from a Mercury dealer that hasn't been in town for very long (2 or 3 years). The owner told me that the engine had locked up and he had a brand new powerhead put on it. He told me that it came with a 90 day warranty from Mercury and that I had to break it in properly (25:1 gas/oil mix, and adjusting speeds throughout the first tank of gas). I've had some trouble getting it started lately. The guy told me that you have to "prime" the choke (by pulling the knob in and out about 5 times) instead of pulling it out and leaving it until it is started. This method doesn't work very well. However, I did pull it out and leave it until it started the other day and this seemed to work well (which way is it supposed to be?).
    O.K., now for the good stuff; I talked to another Mercury dealer in town (which just happened to be the dealer that sold the motor to it's original owner) about my dissatisfaction with this motor, and they looked up the serial number on Mercury's warranty computer. They told me that they had put TWO different powerheads on this motor while it was under warranty!!! That would make this the third powerhead to be on my motor. My question is, should I be concerned that this powerhead will blow too. And, what would cause a motor to lock up powerheads like that, could there be something else wrong with the motor that causes damage to the powerhead? Should I get rid of the motor before it happens again? There is a river nearby where there are boat garages/storages on the river and the duck hunters leave their boats in the water year round. There is a lot of scum, mineral deposit, or something like that caked on the shaft of the motor (mostly around where the waterline would be).
    By the way it is a Model # 25EH, 1999, Serial #OG930797. The originating dealer said that a new powerhead costs around $1800 so it doesn't make sense for the dealer that I bought it from to sell it for $1600 with a BRAND NEW stainless steel prop. The warranty info didn't show that Mercury had helped in buying the third powerhead.

Thanks to anyone for their comments and oponions. I can't decide what I need to do!!!

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your not happy with it now, get rid of it.

I've got a 99' 25 merc in the shop now with a bad lower cylinder.
    Compression's too low to pull fuel in.

You might get a compression check done on yours.

3. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I talked to a Mercury technician at our local sports show yesterday and he told me that Mercury knew/knows about this problem and that it is very common on that particular model. He said that they did nothing about changing the design of the motor because they were phasing out the 2 stroke and it would be cheaper to just pay for the warranty work instead of designing a new motor. He told me that the reason they have trouble is that there is a gasket/seal on the side of the motor that has something to do with the water/cooling system. He said that sometimes this seal leaks water into the heads, causing them to blow. He said one of the Mercury dealerships in town had already had over 200 of these worked on because of this problem. He suggested that if I keep this motor, I should get this gasket changed once a year and I probably won't have any problems with it. I think I'll just take your advice and get rid of it! Thank you for your comments.

4. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Good idea to get rid of it thats one less worry when out on the water and a storm blow's up and the power head might not make it back .