Twin cities fall river bite

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by Goldenshinner, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

ok fall is on us now water temps are getting cold.

anyone want to share any tips or share some success rates with the group?

im activly fishing this fall, and moving around allot trying odd spots. but my action has nearly hit a brick wall. I know that the biggest fish are allways caught in the next 3 weeks. but my bites all seem realy realy small.

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Me and another guy on the site managed to boat a 35 and 29lber last weekend with lots of missed runs.
    mid week I was out. We missed 8 out of 9 runs. Made me sick. But at least a 27lb was boated.
    The flats are hungry.

3. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello,

Well I actually had most of my luck earlier this year at least for channels but about a month ago I caught my pesonal best flattie. It weighed in at 45lbs and measured 53 inches. I caught it while I was fishing for channel cats on the mississippi river right in south saint paul from shore. I managed to land it with a 6 ft medium action rod, with 10lb test and a small #2 octupus circle hook. I will try to figure out how to upload the picture to the site.

Take Care Everyone!

Sincerly, Kevin

4. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I got out last night. Tried a new spot with a lot of success. In less that an hour we had 4 fish up to shore. With the water levels low, try a spot that has deadheads/timber.

If using a boat, tie right in the timber and fish straight down... if fishing from shore, try to get as close as possible to the timber and throw right next to it. You may lose some tackle, but for the most part thats where you will find them.
    3 of the fish we caught drilled the bait, but the biggest fish just took a click here and there, and never really ran with it.

5. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

this last weekend was misserable even by my standards. I got a smallish one(5lbs) that just sat on the bait didnt even move(st.paul). couldnt fish all night with the weather as cold as it was (50deg), im just not used to it yet. I tried both boat fishing and shore with similar results. too me the action has slowed down but I know someone will get a big one in the next few weeks

6. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

also all the bigger fish that I hear about are caught in mississippi river. maybee by sheer luck. I fish croix, missi, and minn. but am sometimes unsure what my best strategy is.also I dont want to get in any hunting streach as it freeks me out to wake up to having decoys all around me, and guns pointing from both sides of the shore like im at ground zero for the revolution!

7. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I know what you mean about the hunters, it is a very uneasy feeling for us all-night shore fishermen. Definitely keep on fishin'. I am going out all next weekend and can't wait. Yeah it gets cold, but that's what fires are for.

8. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello Everyone,

I think it would be a cool idea to have a small get together for us guys who live in the twin cities. Reply to this post if you think this could work out and when a good time and place would be.

Wishing Everyone Good Fishing!

Take Care!

Sincerly, Kevin from South Saint Paul

9. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

sure sign me up, im in for a gathering. either all night fishathon. or an informal some fast food. bring some pics as I will.

if we fish we could try a real long spot were loads of lines help, i have a few good spots in mind. we could use one of my boats to move people from shore to this spot.(island)

another idea is get a bunch of boats and spread ourselfs out along one of the croix's many bars(some very very large) and see what good that does. keep in mind that on these wis-boarder waters we are allowed 2lines (and stergeon season is now open) so with a half dozen to a dozen people in say 3-4 boats anchored all night we should have something interesting to show.

let me know. im in either way.:smile2:

10. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey that sounds good to me, I'm in, I also have a boat if the plan is to be on the water. Set it up and I'll be there .

11. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello,

I am glad to see that this twin cities get together might work out. GoldenShinner your idea for the St. Croix both bank fishing or getting out in a couple boats sounds like a good idea. When would be a good date and time for you, during the week I work early in the morning so a weekend get together would be a lot more convenient for me especially if we do an all nighter.

Anyone else have any other ideas or questions, please share.

Sincerly, Kevin

12. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    The weekend of the 23rd would work for me. LIke you guys said.... with a few boats and a few people, we should have something to show on here.

13. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

weekend of the 23 it is then. Im allways up for it. it will probably be cold and moist. so for those comming that dont frequent the allnighter fall scene, I would recomend to dress for it. I was thinking perhaps st.paul strech, confluence of the miss and minn. any other thoughts?? got a nice sandy spot were we could possibly get a fire going once the park ahhhhm police lock up.(ha ha). should be fine though.ill be bringing some of my pals along most likely. all nice guys.:embarassed: probably friday night or sat would be best. I lean on friday.

this spot has low population, but the area is big enough that allot of peole wont crowd the spot, in fact only help

14. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sorry, I won't be able to make it on the 23rd I have a wedding to go to, the following week end would work out much better. The 30th.
    If this isn't set in stone yet I would still like to participate.
    I'm going to the national gathering this week end so I won't be able to respond till Monday night. Hope we can get something worked out that will be convenient for all. Sounds like a great time.

15. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

like I said im up for anything. the next weekend of the 30th is fine by me. anybody else coments?

16. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

ok dudes. whatts up.

I think I can yet make it this weekend anyone else??

also there seems to be a local bite going down on blackdog discharge.

so let me know if we are still meeting this weekend. fri or sat night .

17. larcool

larcool New Member

State:
    minnesota
    i dont have a boat, but if you ever have a get together for shoreline fishing i'd be interested in that. i usually fish near downtown st paul in the lillydale area which can be kind of spooky theres a few homeless people that have camps setup along the shore in that area seems to be alright me and a buddy have fished a few late nights well past midnite and have never had any problems. my buddy 3 weeks ago caught a 40 in. 30lb. flathead also had 3 or 4 break our line we were using 30 lb test heard that some others have taken some 40 and 50 lb. flatheads from that area

18. larcool

larcool New Member

State:
    minnesota
    where in so st paul you fish kevin? i live on the north end thompson and 12th ave area i havent been able to find any where to catch cats in this town you need to have a boat to get to them?

19. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

having a boat helps. mainly to understand and get a feel for the river. but allot of the guys, if not most fish from shore. even if you got a boat. we actualy were fishing out of the bed of our trucks last night. :big_smile: no fish though.

I know what your saying about hairy spots in the river. I fish all up and down. miss, croix and minne. and this year have seen some of the most strangest things. I saw a racoon get blownup with what I assume a stick of dynamite in some farmers home made trap, I met a guy in a small boat holding a shot gun that told me this streach of the river is now closed and private property. ive had two other incidents were people told me to leave as I was on private property. one streach I was fishing had loads of heavy duty jug lines. Ive seen this stuff from time to time. my standard reaction is cut every line, take and toss everything. other highlights were watching a nude lady(very thumbs up!) stand up starteled as we drove by, and her boyfriend was in the water swiming. we also responded to two incidents of people with motor problems. and finaly I almost got left at the river the other night when my wife overherd me sleep talking about what she claims was some other girl! we also got a sturgeon that got rolled in the line.I saw a toad jump into and out of the fire perfectly unharmed. any way I could go on and on with the wierd stuff.

goto go. enjoy twin cities fishin nut

20. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

oh one last comment to larcool. if your in liydale do you fish by the rRR-bridge??? that is good. an underwater cable crosses that you have to be carefull about. ive had soome good luck fishing in downtown st.paul right on the bank! tough spot to actualy get the fish out of the water. but very convienent and clean. other spots would be were the barges park. and then farther downstream nearly to ah I think south st.paul. there is a spot were the rr tracks are close to the river. you park right there. and there is some logs and snaggs close to the river. the shore is not comfortable in that spot.finaly there are a couple of good shore spots on the minn. blackdog power plant is got alot of people shore fishing ,a nd fish are comming up. also good is another discharge off of hwy 77 and blackdog road. not sure the name off hand.
    hope that helps.