Twice in two days!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by EricM, Mar 13, 2007.

1. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    :0a20: :0a20: If you haven't read yesterday's post "OOPS..." under Boating Safety, you might want to now. I fell in yesterday while throwing a cast net. WELL...., today I was fishing for blue catfish in 50 feet of water when a 3 footer picked up the bait at a dead run and jerked the rod right out of my hands and into the water next to the boat. It took about 2 seconds to realize that the rod was 6 inches out of reach and disappearing fast. I couldn't believe what I was about to do for the second time this winter, thought "OH ****" (or at least I think I only thought it), and went in after it. A forward flip with a half twist (difficulty 2.5) salvaged the rod and the fun began. I couldn't throw the rod back in the boat - it still had a big catfish on it. So here I am, swimming around the boat, fighting a 20 lb cat with one hand while it's pulling drag like mad, and releasing my rope stirrup (see the other post for the description) so I can haul my waterlogged butt back into the boat! Larry, Moe, and Curly couldn't have done better. Meanwhile, there are three kids in a boat not far away and they're all staring at me with really big eyes and their mouths hanging open. They finally overcame their shock and asked if they could help, which was really nice. I'm just glad they didn't videotape me. Now I'm laying flat on my stomach on the rear deck of the boat, trying to catch my breath and still fighting that #$%$# fish that started this whole mess. I finally landed it, measured and weighed it, and took a picture of it. I wasn't in the mood to kiss it before releasing it (Jimmy Houston style) but I did consider kicking it's butt over the side :crazy: until I realized that I'd probably slip and go in again. When I finally got back to the ramp, another fisherman was loading up and telling his friend "See that rig? That guy FELL IN yesterday!" and here I come along sloshing water out of my boot tops again today. How humiliating! :embarassed: By the way, I found out that getting back into the boat using my little rope trick is a lot easier with practice! :lol:

2. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I have done that also not this year yet but in earlier years. You just have to sit back and laugh. At least you didnt hurt yourself

3. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Man, I thought Bill Dance had some bad luck. You could make a killin off of some blooper tapes. Thanks for the laugh and I'm glad you're okay. We all make clumbsy mistakes sometimes and it's good that you have a sense of humor about it.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sounds like you need to bank fish for a while...:big_smile: Glad you're ok though.

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great story, thanks for sharing!

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Time to sell the boat!

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    So,
    I'm just wondering:
    After you fell in yesterday, were you wearing your life jacket today?
    You are a lucky guy...W

8. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Where's the pic?

Glad you're OK, twice!

Dennis

9. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I would love to go fishing with you one time. I bet I would laugh the whole time. Glad you got your rod back (and the fish to boot). LOL:lol:

10. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive never fell in trying to catch a pole, however I do have to admit I have fell in throwing the cast net. Glad your all right...Abu65

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    LOL, Glad your OK! I had to jump overboard from my canoe last year to try to save my brand spankin new rod but to no avail! At least you got yours back though! Congrats! I'd love to have seen that...:roll_eyes:

12. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    That's the second time I've had to retrieve a rod on it's way down this winter! :embarassed: The first was my favorite (of course) ultralight that I never did figure out how I flipped into the river. That's when I had to climb back in on the motor and knew I didn't want to have to do it that way again. I haven't been in the water in 20 years and now 3 times this winter! Always with witnesses/audiences, of course.:lol:

13. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Eric, you are a great story-teller... and fortunately, you have no trouble findin material about which to write :lol:

Very glad you're okay (again!) and hope you will be able to keep from gettin waterlogged next time out :smile2:

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    You mean you hope they didn't videotape you. Did you happen to see a cell phone? LOL Glad you're OK and hope you don't have to do that again!

15. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    I didnt fall off a boat but i did throw my cast net in the river, lead and all. It had to be right in front of a boat drifting by. The water really wasn't that bad though!:lol:

Stay dry Brother, Dru

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i hope i never experience what you have im not that good of a swimmer so i try to stay in the boat as much as possible , not sure i would be able to climb back over the side of the boat either , i may have to envest in a step ladder or mount a step on the rear of the boat for such an occasion , id be leary of a sturip be my luck my foot would get hung and leave me upside down , the worst thought would be getting tangled up in the rest of the lines id have out i normally fish with 9 rigs its enough hassle trying to get fish in with out them getting in another line :lol:

17. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    If I had been there, I wouldn't have been able to help you. I think that I would have been laughing to hard. Sorry about that. I have gone in the water more than once after a rod and reel.:big_smile:

18. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    lol great story. you've had a fun-filled couple of days.

19. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Good story, but dont fall in agian. :lol:

20. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is one Act that I would not try and follow. I agree with the above post.:cool2: :cool2: