Twenty four Catfish on the Allegheny River in Pennsylvania!

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by catchinghogs, Jun 25, 2006.

1. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Went fishing on the Allegheny river for the first time and one of the best nights ever had fishing for catfish. A great big thank you to pennsylvaniacatchaser (Scott Williams) for inviting me to fish on his boat last night.And a special thank you to the BOC for the opportunity to meet a great guy like Scott. I brought 2 dozen of creek chubs and met up with Scott and we caught another two dozen bluegills so we had plenty of bait well at least I thought.Launched the boat and we were on our way to lock 7 a nice 20 minute ride from where his boat was docked.We set the anchors away I took a dead gill that had swallowed a hook put him on the hook and stepped on him through my line out and at the most three minutes later wham a nice 4 pound 22 inch flatty.Scott decides to try something new fishing with circle hooks and let me tell you I have never used them and after seeing him catch fish after fish I will be trying this also.A few minutes later Scotts rod loads up A nice 19 inch flatty then a 18 inch channel and a 14.5 inch channel I get back on baord with a 21 inch flatty Then 2 more for Scott 20 inch channel and 19inch flatty another 21 inch flatty for me Scott gets another channel and 2 more flathead Now the bite has finally slowed done a little and i get my biggest flathead of the night 25 inch 6 pounder then the rest of the night i cant buy a fish Scott catches 10 more flathead with biggest fish coming at about three in the morning 28 inch 10 pound flathead.No chubs left and a couple of dead gills is all we have left so we decide to pull up anchors and find a spot to catch some zzzzs about 5 in the morning. We set up to get sleep and th rain starts so we though out some dead gills and get in our sleeping bags and catch some sleep.Finally wake up about 10 in the morning and none of the rods are missing and it is still raining so we decide to start packing all the gear in Scott reals his rods in he has a little channel on so i grab mine and bring them in an low and behold a got a nice 22 inch channel on the end of the line.What a great night of fishing and glad to see the flatheads biting again maybe the spawn is over alot of the flatheads caught last night had scrapes and marks on their heads and backs.Will be looking forward to fishing with Scott again and one more time THANK YOU. Here are som pics.

Attached Files:

2. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Here is the next 3 fish

Attached Files:

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great story and great pics,thanks for sharing!!!

4. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Another 3 fish from last night.

Attached Files:

5. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Three more pics with my biggest of the night.

Attached Files:

6. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Now is where i get skunked for a while.

Attached Files:

7. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    PIC of scotts biggest one of the night.

Attached Files:

8. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    And finally three more and me with a fish holy cow I caught another one while I was asleep. LOL

Attached Files:

9. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like a great night and lots of fun.
    THanks for sharing!

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Glad to hear the flatheads are biting. Won't be able to fish the river for the next few days because of the rain. So is the spawn over???

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Mark - Thanks for posting the pictures and story. I enjoyed fishing with you and we will definitely hook up again! I'm now getting nervous cause Buffalo Creek is raging and threatening to flood my house. Everyone please cross your fingers and say a little prayer. It took me 9 months to redo my house from the flooding when Hurruicane Ivan hit back in Sept. 2004. NO MORE RAIN!!!!:cross:

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yall did a great job. Thanks for sharing the pics. Good luck on the water.

13. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I don't know if the spawn is over or not but I do know that for the 1st time in a couple weeks the Flatheads where back on the feed on Sat. night. Some of the ones we caught were roughed up from the spawning ritual. So if its not completely done I would say its at least winding down. Now with all this rain we just got (more is coming) the rivers will be messed up!:angry:

P.S. The creek in my yard receded overnight! Thank god! We were on pins & neddles all evening. My house even was on the local news a couple times yesterday evening.

14. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great pics looks like you all had a great time

15. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That is one excellent night you guys had. Thank god you house is all in one piece. It seems that the cats are starting to bit again.

16. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Glad to see you guys catching some. Things are S-L-O-W here!

17. catchinghogs

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Glad to see the water receeded Scott the mon is high around here.I wont be able to get to my spot till the end of the week it looks. I was getting ecxited to fish it after the good bite we had this weekend hopefully the water will go down by the end of the week.

18. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i think its funny how in the pics, each one gets a little darker until its pitch black. lol

19. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Those are some nice fish!!! Were gonna have to hook up sometime scott

20. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Looks like you guys had a great night. Glad to hear that your house was spared Scott.