TV Video of Truman Dam flooding

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Marty, that was interesting viewing. A lot of trees and debris to be moved away for sure.

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Man that is some nasty looking stuff. I wonder how long it will take before the lake starts getting back to normal????

4. Jnorman

Jnorman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    COE is saying they are supposed to catch up to the inflow of the lake today. I've heard that they are going to start log and debri removal tomorrow but that's nothing official, just rumor.

5. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Truman is dumping a lot of water but the lake is still on the rise.

The lake is currently at 740.2 and the normal is 706 feet.

Attached Files:

6. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
    Is each one of the openings I am seeing in the video considered a gate? (4 gates?)

How big is the opening when the gate is completely open? (8' x 8'?)

I am making the assumption that all the gates are completely open or would opening the gates even further cause flooding downstream.

Keep in mind I know nothing about Dam construction.

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Did you mean 730.2

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've seen them release 35,000 cfs just through the generators and nothing going through the gates, so I'm guessing they could let out quite a bit more than the recent 51,000 cfs. Flooding downstream probably does become an issue. Also, I'm not sure how they balance lake level with stored hydroelectric potential, but having a full lake heading into peak cooling season is not entirely a bad thing.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Not quite. The spillway gates are about 50 ft wide.

Each.

No way to tell how far open they are, but I'd guess 5 or 10 ft.

They could release a lot more water, except Bagnell Dam (Lake of the Ozarks) is old and tired and really can't handle it. The Lake of the Ozarks has 5 ft between the "normal" pool and the top of the flood control pool. So it doesn't fluctuate much; flooding is never an issue.

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    WOW!!! That is alot of water. I wonder how long it will take to get back to normal?

11. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Yes I did. That was a pretty bad typo, that would be higher then 1986. It is 730.22, 24.22 feet above normal.

We have to be shuttled into the Truman State Park Marina to our houseboat and pontoon. All parking lots are flooded. We do get out on the lake but you have to be careful if you get out on it, a lot of logs out there is an understatement.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Bagnell can handle a lot, I stumbled across this photo from a couple of years back of 162,000 cfs (converted from their figure of 1,212,000 gallons) being released through the 12 floodgates. I doubt if that was maximum flow.

http://www.lakehistory.info/floodgatesopen.html

I was searching around trying to figure out the maximum release capacity of Truman, but never could find it. :0a28:

13. jdunndmb

jdunndmb New Member

State:
    Kansas
    all i can say is that looks insane down there. i tried to get a campsite at talley bend this weekend thinking surely the whole campsite wouldn't be closed. the shoreline sites sure, but not the upper loop. sure enough, they said the only other campsite open is thibaut point. too far out of my way for me.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Can you even fish in that? (Below the spillway?)
    I can't imagine that water being over the parking lots I was in this spring.
    Tom, I hope things are well with you and your family. Are the crappie still hanging by your dock?

Shawn(OH)