TV Hunting Shows

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 2, 2009.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm getting very discouraged with the TV hunting shows lately. They aren't really hunting shows anymore; they are just 1/2 hour commercials for some kind of hunting product or other, with more commercials for other products thrown in every 10 minutes. Most of them have about 2 minutes of actual hunting, and the rest is garbage. None that I have seem lately have any instructional benefit at all. Kids are going to grow up thinking they need $2500 worth of gear, a Rhino, and several food plots, to go out and enjoy a day of hunting.
    I used to get up early every weekend to watch them, now I hate to waste my time on them. I spent several hours last weekend watching hunting DVDs instead. Even on the DVDs, with the possible excepting of Prime Time Bucks, most of the deer killed were standing in wide open food plots. Doesn't anyone hunt in the woods anymore? Has the art of stalking game given way to just sitting over a bait station and looking over 50-150 deer, until the "right one" comes along? Does anyone teach the basics of woodcraft anymore? Are there any hunters left that scout on foot, instead of from the front seat of a pickup truck?
    I guess I'm just "old school" but I don't care much for what is happening to to the sport of hunting, at least not TV hunting. I don't know what it like in your neck of the woods, but around here you just don't see 3,4,5 shooter bucks at a time wandering around open fields in broad daylight.
    What do ya'll think?

2. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good post Billie, I don't like them anymore. The hunting audience must be some gullible folks because they push more useless gadgets than you can shake a stick at. Too many gimmicks. The celebrities they have on should be ashamed of themselves. I really love the fake deer finding scenes. I guess money talks...

3. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, my wife was asking about those "discoveries" yesterday. She asked why they had to wait until morning and then follow a blood trail when the deer dropped in sight of the camera right in the middle of the field. I guess it's the suspense factor.

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I dont watch them anymore. I would not know what to do if I had multiple shooter bucks to chose from:smile2:. There are some good bucks around here but they just dont show themselves to often. As a matter of fact unless it is in the heat of the rut. You would be lucky to get a chance at some of the good bucks that I have gotten on trail cams in the last two weeks at night. I just really like to get out in the stand and watch deer. Boy what a relaxing time. Dosent matter weather bucks or does all is enjoyable.

Tom

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Guess i'm old school too Billie. I hunt on foot or use a canoe to get to where i hunt. Years like this i'm huntin acorns, there awful scattered and if ya find the acorns, you'll find the deer. Never been to keen on sittin in a box blind watchin food plots myself. I like the timber. A kid i hunted sat. in our youth hunt shot a nice 8pt. that ran all the way to the bottom of a holler, talk about a chore:confused2: but we got him out. He did his own guttin and skinnin and even a good part of deboning and grinding.
    Good luck this year everybody and forget the TV. If i could hunt where those guys can, i'ld kill wallhangers on a regular basis. I just enjoy being in the woods.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    To hunt like the people on those tv shows do you have to have money and lots of it. Anyone with enough money can kill 150 to 200 inch bucks every year. Thats a way of life and a kind of hunting I know nothing about. I will have to say this though, theres getting to be some nice looking ladies that are pretty easy to watch on some of those shows :wink:.

7. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Billie: You know what Hunting shows, fishing shows, (Bill "Wave'em back an forth in front of the camera" Dance, Jimmy "Giggles" Huston, and "OH SON!" Roland Martin) and a football bat have in common?
    :crazy:
    :eek:oooh:
    :confused2:
    They are all fake!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  8. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I'm right there with you on the "hunting shows", every one of them is the same open fields, food plots, and 2-3 huge deer to choose from, that ain't real life hunting at least not for me. I hunt in the mountains and you dont' see that on many hunting shows. That is a whole different type of hunting and imo is one of the most difficult. I think I remember you saying you hunt mountains too so you know what I mean as do many members on here. Until some shows start doing some real hunting i'm not much interested in watching. I'm not putting down the way and locations people hunt by any means because none of it is what I would call "easy" just some more difficult than others.

9. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    hey hunting show star come on down and kill this big ole buck bring your advertisers and camara. joe sap come on down show you where show star killed a big one. fake$$ fake$$ fake$$

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I don't see them shows regularly, I only see em when I go to the midwest, and then only on weekends if its rainin or snow is blowin too much to go out and do something. Some seem ok, but some are pretty fake, I wonder where I can catch fish like them guys do, all the time, and all nice ones.

Some of the shows seem ok, but some of the hunting isn't really hunting. Getting on an elevated hay wagon with a bar on it and being driven to the spot where ya only got to climb down and sit there while they go drive the herd towards ya ain't hunting to me. I spend some time in a stand but I"m usually moving slowly thru the woods, looking and listening. A few steps, stop and look, after awhile sit down for awhile, take a nap, eat lunch, walk around, and move back to where I started, then find a place to sit till dark. Can't bait deer where I hunt, food all over anyway, and plenty cover. Gotta find a good trail or find em in the beds.

11. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia

Yea, I don't see them hiking 2300 vertical feet up a mountain, with their stand on their back, a back pack tied to the stand, plus their weapon, at 3am so they can get to their stands before the sun comes up. I saw one the other day and noticed that two different guys didn't have slings on their guns. You know they don't do much walking! LOL

12. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    Great Post Billie, another factor about 90% of the hunting and fishing show on TV on is that they are hurting the sport IMO. New hunter see guys on TV killing these large 150 plus class deer on every show ( like everyone said taken there pick ) and they thinking the first time they go hunting they are going to do the same thing, most people will hunt a lifetime and be lucky to see 1 deer like those much less harvest 1 every weekend. I see new hunters getting discouraged from not seeing monster bucks not realizing TV is so misleading. Also a lot of new hunters I talk to do not want to shoot does, because the show hardly ever show doe kills. It is all about selling the newest products just like you said Billie.

13. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    That's the biggest issue I have with TV hunting. Kids who are the future of hunting are not getting an education on scouting, hunting, wood craft, and hunting ethics. They are getting an education on BUYING, buying tons of "stuff", buying hunts, buying deer. I never could understand why these guys could get soooo excited shooting a deer that someone else scouted, someone else put up the stand, someone else has 50 trail can photos of him, etc.. I used to like the older Bob Foulkrod videos that were all fair chase, in regular hunting areas or public hunting type places, and usually ended with the harvest of a fat 5 pointer, from 15 yards, with a bow, while hunting on foot. The DVD's are better than the TV shows because some DVDs don't bombard you with equipment sales pitches. Some, though, are just ads for gimmicks, with a little shooting in between.
    Kids would get more out of hunting if they showed the good times around a fire with your family after a days hunt, pointing out not only deer sign, but all the sign in the woods, and what it means. Why it might be better to hunt HERE, and stay away from THERE. "Hunting" without scouting is just shooting!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  14. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    One of the better shows I have seen is Team Fitzgerald with Guy and Dan Fitzgerald. That is an informative show and they o normal hunting. They kill does, small bucks, and the occational good buck but nothing really huge. They ae about hunting history and ethics, a very good show to get ids started on. Dan has been around a long time with videos and I remember watching them when I was little. They are strictly bow hunts and they shoot instinctively(no sights). Thats an amazing feat to watch especially when Dan is is blind in one eye. Thats gotta be tricky with no depth perception.

15. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
  16. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I do not care for the hunting n fishing shows. WAYYYYY too much BS that is no where near real life. Just today I climbed a mountain searching for that "just right"spot with good deer sign on it. When I leave my truck in the morning it will take me an hour of walking with most of it uphill to get there. I'll be toting about 30 lbs of gear and am gonna stay all day. If I don't score I'll do it again the next day. My Dad taught me and I taught my son and he is teaching his son how to hunt in the woods....anyone can set over a food plot and score on a deer.

17. grandpa7

grandpa7 Member

State:
    alabama
    I've been discouraged with 95% of all the hunting and fishing shows that are supposed to be fair chase and fair sport. I agree 100% that the values being taught our kids and grandkids are way too distorted. It is far better to spend the time with your young ones doing hands on teaching, whether it be hunting or fishing. There's not enough young people that can snell hooks or track deer.

18. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I teach my kids what to look for, take em out have em tell me what they see, judge a size if a deer by prints is it a fawn, young deer, old doe, or a buck. What size buck might have made rubs, how to follow rub lines, locate scraps and beds ect ect and a 100 things they dont show on half the tv shows. My kidds know hunting is hard work but ya put the work in ya get the deer. They now see the funnels and choke points, how to catch deer travelen from bedding to feeding areas and water. So much they dont show on the TV, so much 100% BS they wanna sell ya-ya dont need. I can do just fine with a $200 rifle, a folding lawn chair, a fast brush blind, shooting tripod made out of 3, 5 ft sapplen sticks and a lil trotline cord.

19. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield

I agree with you on this issue, I dont like any of the hunting shows now a days, but i can see a day soon when you will not see any hunting shows on TV due to peta and the humane society....most fishing shows suck as well.

20. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia

Unless PETA can come up with more money than the sponsors are giving the stations, that ain't happening. They'll never be much more than a joke.