Tuttle - Caught channel catfish

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Tuttlecat, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Went on a shad scouting mission this morning before noon. After catching only a buff and two channels, decided to throw some frozen:sad2:shad.

After two screaming runs,one of which was a short hookup, I cut the circles off (again) put octopuses' (octopi?:eek:oooh:) on and had two more bites, which were 8lb 15oz and 5lb12oz respectively.

I just can not use a hook that I can not JERK!

On to Milford tomorrow, I have the camera packed this time.

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Where were you looking for shad at? Last year about this time I went over to th yacht marina cove and scored well on shad. Also down in the pond.

Later,
    Chris

3. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Spillway, McIntire, and the two coves south of it.

Looked in the river pond a month ago.... nothing.

Last summer they were thick in there:confused2:

Didn't mark any substantial schools anywhere:sad2:

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Nice cats Bryan...good luck at milford tomorrow.

Wish I could go but painting the house....:sad2:

5. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    You didn't miss anything Tom.

I should have done the same!:smile2:

6. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    hey guys im still catching cats below tuttle tubes :wink: i was there the other day for 15 min caught three let the smallest one go and went home the guys setting ten feet from me said they had been there all day and all they caught was one :smile2: all they couuld do is laugh as i pulled them in so fast. I told them not to worry its because Im Mr Cat :cool2:

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Way to go Mr.Cat......alwas funny when your on the catching end:wink::smile2:

Nate can you catch any shad there ?

8. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Tom

I have tried twice this year, and can catch crappie,buff, and channels, but not one shad.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Get some Team Catfish double action hooks. Believe the hype, they work!

10. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    hey brian u should try the team catfish double action circle hooks . they arnt like a the normal circle hooks u can set the hook or just let the fish do it they are a great hook u can get them at gander mountain or online from team catfish

11. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,

I have used those and Daichi, which look like the identical hook..... they are a good hook. Still have got some deep hook ups with both.

But, seem to avoid hookups altogether with the circles:smile2:

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I know where your at Bryan...........the whole circle concept makes sense so you keep trying them, you'll catch a few fish and think you got it all figured out. Then it happens, big fish on, you can do nothing with it but hold on............for about 5 seconds and then SLACK.

Trust me, you'll try them again and your feelings will be hurt again:wink::smile2::wink:.

Gama Octopus (not circle), what a great hook!!!

13. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,

Spot on Charlie....it does seem to be longer intervals between though:smile2:

The first one I had on was a GOOD one, right as I was thinking that hook was right in the corner of his mouth where it was supposed to be, it was coming at me:sad2:

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Do have a higher hook-up rate with the dual action hooks compared to other circles. Will not still fish with a circle though, drift yes, river channel cats yes, flatheads NO!!!

15. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Tom you catch them on the slack side when they have one side shut down,along the wall. But that was last year. I would end up with a bunch of little crappie along whit them. If you get down on the rocks next to the end of the wall it makes it easier but like I said I haven't tried this year yet.