Tussel With Another Varmint Tonight

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by festus, Oct 23, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

Today I've already started two threads about varmints, coyotes and raccoons.

Just a few minutes ago, I heard a big splash on the deck, and had to fish this thing out of the swimming pool!! :big_smile: :smile2: :confused2: They're not much of a threat to anything, but luckily I got it out before it damaged the pool liner, which would cost several grand to replace. :big_smile:

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    possums and coons are a pain, I had to chase a possum out of my other house, he came right on in. Then at the house I am living in now, my wife had the dining room door open, the cat feeder was right next to the back door, and the wife had the doors open, and a racoon came right on in and helped himself.

Now my wife being a city girl, thought the racoon was cute, I was talking her on chat and she says hang on....I said ok, the next thing I know I get invited to veiw pictures, low and behold there was this racoon eating cat food right out of the cat bowl. In a minute she says, hang on I need to get it out of here it is scattering food all over the place....I ask her can you whip 3 or 4 coon hounds, and she says no why, and I tell her she better leave that coon alone, he probably can....it finally got its fill and left, dont know what she would have done if it decided to take a tour of the house......:smile2:

3. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Western definition of a possum= A soft shelled armadillo :smile2:

4. festus

festus New Member

That's about right, beespringer. I gave that possum its freedom, but the dang thing had to be on the deck again last night, I saw the tracks.

Another definition: Goose = Sky Carp

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    See what feeding those coons is getting you ,now the possums are coming over to swim an have supper also :wink::smile2:

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    that pic of ya holdin it with a net is priceless

7. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Its party time, next thing you know they are going to bring in the women, smoke possum grape leaves, loud possum music, and mother nature will be called to quiten things down.....not good...

8. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, we're ate up with wildlife around here. The barred owls have been hootin up a storm all evening, and I saw two does in the woods right before dark about 50 yards from the backdoor. We used to smoke grapevine when I was a kid and didn't know any better. Just break off a good dry dormant twig, and light the end of it. It tasted pretty good. Never tried the leaves, but I've made and drunk my share of muscadine grape wine. :big_smile:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  9. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    send me some that wine lol:big_smile:

10. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    BE CAREFUL! i was sitting in the living room reading my Bible about 8 months ago and heard my lab (Jaycee) raising sand outside the door. so i thought he was about to fight with one of the neighborhood dogs. I got up and went out on the pourch and he was looking under the pourch. I walked down and there was a coon under there. So I gave him the command to get him. the fight was on. Jaycee grabbed the coon and the coon grabbed Jaycee. Then my other dog came to join and she would grab the coon and pull him off Jaycee and the coon would start biting her. needless to say finally, they both got him at the same time and it was over.
    Something got me thinking why would a coon come up in the yard at 3:00 in the afternoon with dogs all around, so i call the County agent and they came and collected the coon. It was sent off to be tested for diseases. It came back positive for rabies. Jaycee had all his shots but I still had to Quarintine him for 6 months in a double fenced pen. Poor baby! The female had just showed up at the house about two weeks earlier and had puppies a couple of days after. they told me sense i did not have the records on her she would have to be put down. had to take her and puppies to vet to be disposed of. I cried for her and puppies. Be careful of animals coming up in your yard!

11. festus

festus New Member

Didn't get to make any this year, Jeff. It was a bad year for every type of grape--too much rain. A few of the black muscadines got almost ripe, then it rained for about 2 weeks straight and the grapes just split open. Then the white muscadines were getting ready and it came another 2 or 3 day downpour and beat them off the vine. Neither variety tasted any good this year, they need more sun, they tasted very watery and worthless.

I haven't talked to any of the local wineries, but I suspect the same thing happened to them. Sometimes they import their muscadines and grapes from North and South Carolina and Mississippi.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  12. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Coons can be very vicious. When I was younger, my dad and his brothers use to coon hunt all the time, I grew up around coon dogs. We had an old pitbull dog we called BoBo, and you couldnt leave him home, because he would sit there and bark till you got back, so Mom said you are taking him. The problem with BoBo, was he had the kill down perfectly, run in and pin the coon with his chest, and grab the neck, fight over. We had to keep BoBo on a leash, and I usually had the honor of holding BoBo.

One night we jumped the biggest coon we had ever seen, the 3 hounds treed him in a big oak, we got to the tree and we shined our lights up in there and the coon decides he is coming down the tree, he backed up with his back to the tree and commenced beating 3 good coon hounds badly. We pulled the hounds off the coon and my dad looks down at old BoBo and tells me to turn him loose. BoBo run a few feet into the clearing and the coon stepped away from the tree, something like the old westerns, the 2 of them squaring off. BoBo, he ran at the coon and the coon acted like a bullfighter just side stepped him, only as BoBo went past he jumped up on his back and started chewing on ears and his head. BoBo finally got him shook off, and made another run to pin the coon, same thing happened again. This went on for a good 20 minutes, finally my uncle beats the coon off old BoBo with a stick. That coon beat 4 dogs that night and didnt look like he got a scratch.

13. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yeah,them coons are a head ache.i live right in the woods and my dogs kill atleast 5 possums & 3 or 4 coons a week.i raise pit bulls and have to keep'm chained for their own safety,they like to roam.i've never had a coon beat my pits but i had to let one of my pits go one time because a coon was about to kill my feist.so now i keep my traps out and almost they get in the trap more often now then goin after the dog food.i have game camera pic.s of 25 to 30 coons around my dog food barrel at 1 time.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    you eatin any of these critters?:wink:

15. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    a friend of mine eats the coons.not me.:eek:oooh:

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    My grandpa ..out of the blue...told me.."armadiller is the perties meat they is.."

17. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    armerdiller=possum on the half shell.posed to be good eatin',letme know.

18. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    not me lol well maaaybe:wink:

19. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    don't forget to put sum sweet taters with it.:big_smile:

20. festus

festus New Member

Hey folks, I heard armadillo makes good chili. I don't know if you use ground armadillo or cubed armadillo. I have a Tex-Mex cookbook somewhere if I ever find it again. I do remember the recipe mentioned something like, "One man's chili is the next man's axle grease." :eek:oooh: