Tuscarawas River Report

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tcba1987, Oct 14, 2005.

1. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    10-13-05

fished the tusc tonight with my dad, my wife and catfish hunter. hit one of MY favorite spots on st rt 416 outside of gnaden for some flatties. the fishing was slow but i had a great time. we all were using live creek chubs hoping for a big flattie. started fishing around 9 pm stayed till midnight, i had one bite the whole time, my dad got skunked , renee got skunked, catfish hunter had ahold of a good fish that wrapped him up in a snag under water. i hooked and landed a nice flattie, not big to some of you experienced catters but a nice fish for me. it weighed in at 7 lbs 11 oz and was a awesome fight !!! it was my first flattie since sept 4 when i got sick and went in the hospital. wish i had more to tell but that was it, a SLOW night. thanks dad and catfish hunter for babysitting me and helping me out again tonight. i had alot of fun , thanks to you guys !! thank you renee (catwoman) for being a great wife and putting up with my moody butt !! i guess its a good thing we fished MY spot again even though i was told we wouldnt do any good. :rolleyes:

2. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    10-13-05

fished the tusc river tonight in one of my new super secret spots , LOL. i fished with my dad and catfish hunter. dad and i got to MY spot around 8 and catfish hunter arrived around 9:30 , we only fished till around midnight. we were all using CREEK CHUBS on bottom rigs, hoping for a few flatties. well dad started off the night by catching a 14 inch saugeye on about an 7 inch chub, alittle while later dad had another run and caught a 2 lbs 8 oz channel cat. then the bite slowed down till around 9:30 , i finally had a run and caught a small flattie 2 lbs 6 oz. thats when catfish hunter arrived and the bite was steady for about an hour with each of us having at least one good run but we just werent hooking up, not sure why. we were using circle hooks and letting the fish really load up the rods in the rod holders before starting to reel on them and they were still coming off. i think it happened on 4 or 5 fish , then finally catfish hunter hooked up and caught a 2 lbs 8 oz flattie. the bite died around 10:30 , we fished till almost midnight and left. i had a great time , even though the fish were small, hey at least we are catching some flatties after all size isnt everything right ??? thanks again dad and catfish hunter for babysitting me.

3. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i put the wrong date on the first post it was on 10-11-05 sorry. :rolleyes:

4. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    fished the tusc river last night with my wife renee and catfish hunter. we were fishing in the tcba catfish tournament from 6 pm to midnight. the bite started off kinda fast, we werent in the water more then 30 minutes when renee had a nice run on shrimp and caught a decent channel cat weighing in at 3 lbs 2 oz. then it slowed way down till almost 9:30 when i had a decent run on a live creek chub and caught a 14 inch saugeye, not what i was after but fun. then renee had another nice run on chicken liver and caught another nice channel cat weighing in at 5 lbs 1 oz. around 10:10 i got desparate and baited up with the biggest creek chub i had (must have been 8 inches long) the pole wasnt in the water more then 5 minutes when it doubled over and the fight was on. i hooked and landed my personal best flathead on a light action rod with 10 lb line. he weighed in at 14 lbs 5 oz, i know not huge but my PERSONAL BEST. a short time later i had another nice run on a creek chub and landed a nice channel cat weighing in at 5 lbs 12 oz. we had several other nice runs during the evening but didnt hook up, all in all the bite was pretty fast for a cool october evening. catfish hunter got skunked but did a awesome job of netting fish all night, LOL. THANKS DUDE for the net jobs and for babysitting. i had a GREAT TIME !!! the pics arent the greatest but thats all i got. i had to have chuck hold my fish, it put too much strain on my stitches.

Attached Files:

5. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    congrats on the fish looks like you all had a good night
    keep the lines tight

6. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice fish! Keep those lines wet! :p

7. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    10-19-05
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fished the tusc tonight from 6:30 to 9:30 with my dad for catfish. we were using creek chubs on bottom rigs hoping for some flatties. we were using large chubs 5--8 inches long. dad started the night off well at 7:00 when he hooked into a nice channel that weighed in at 4 lbs 8 oz. a short while later around 7:30 i had a strong run that was ripping the clicker, hooked and landed my new personal best flathead weighing in at 15 lbs 1 oz. i no sooner recast, when the clicker went off again on the same reel and i caught a 4 lbs 6 oz channel cat. around 8:00 i had another very hard run and hooked into a BIG flattie, got him close to the bank and he wrapped me up in a root and broke my 20 lb test ironsilk line. this fish was quite a bit bigger then my 15 lber, i got a good look at him before he broke me off. around 8:30 i had another good run and caught my 2nd flattie of the night weighing in at 7 lbs 4 oz. until around 9:15 things were quiet and i got another good run while i was taking a potty break and dad caught his first ever flattie weighing in at 3 lbs. he is HOOKED now , he couldnt believe how hard a flattie fights compared to a channel cat. all in all we had a great time , lots of bites and decent fish !! now im shooting for that 20 lber before winter gets here. i got some pictures they arent very good but ..............

Attached Files:

8. RunAwayCatfish

RunAwayCatfish New Member

Whats up all you catfish fans!

My name is Greg I live in Massillon. I was browsing around here checking out info on the tusc. Could you guys update me on some good local sites for some flatties, all i catch around here are those damn little Bullheads, and a few nice channels. Of course it could be the bait I use, and also here in Massillon im not sure of any decently deep spots to fish. My local spots are Lake Avenue Bridge, The spillway (causeway) and a few spots down river near Cherry Bridge. I use Chicken Liver, Shrimp, and sometimes all different size minnows. My personal Best this year was a 25 1/2 inch Channel Cat caught out of the spillway. I didn't have a scale or i would of weighed it.

Anyway could some of you local people tell me some good spots, and some good tips on where and how to catch some flatties. I have yet to see one come out of the Tusc around here.

Thx, and would muchly be appreciated.

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Sounds to me your bait might be a big reasons for no flats. I don't know anything about your area, but if there is flats I would be trying live bait like bluegills, creek chubs, goldfish. If no luck on live bait try cutting it up and using just the heads or other parts. Fast moving water like the spillway you mentioned usally hold flats because of the higher oxygen levels. :0a26: