Tuscarawas River Questions

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by cheezemm2, Mar 24, 2008.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This will be my first year targeting the Tusc. for flatheads...I have a couple of questions that hopefully the northeastern guys/gals can help me out with.

1) I plan on launching my kayak near Dover Dam. My only concern is, how swift is the water from dover on south? I want to make sure I can paddle back upstream. On the Ohio, this isn't much of a chore, but since the Tusc. is smaller/shallower I don't want to get into whitewater and end up dragging the kayak 3 miles back to the car!

2) Baits! I've always gone with cut whitebass/skippie/shad for the Ohio. Should I take some time to get some creek chubs/gills for the Tusc!?!?! What is the predominate food source?

3) Depth...what is the minimum and maximum from the dam to 3 miles south of it? (That's about the distance I can cover comfortablly paddling)

4) Debris/CFS on the stream gauge...Does anyone have some good measurements for when the Tusc. starts to bring logs/trash down/really pick up speed like the Ohio? For instance, if the Ohio goes above 18ft at Pike Island, it is highly unlikely I'll be on it with the yak due to debris!!!

Thanks for the help...hope to get some pictures of 30lb+ fish this year and then send them back for me to catch when they're 40lbs+!!!!:big_smile:

2. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are the flatties below the Dover Dam near State Route 800 or do I need to go further south past the sewage treatment dam!?!?:confused2:

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I think you have a real challenger hitting the 30# mark, but then again, I don't target flats on the Tuscarawas River. There are some in there. You might have better luck below the low-head dam at the sewer plant. I caught some nice channel cats in that area and above the Dover Dam. There are some tournaments held on the Tusc. If you want more info, PM me.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If I were you I would paddle upstream first and then drift back to the truck.

It certainly looks terrific just downstream of Dover Dam all the way in fact, to Coshocton.

I do know there is Kayakable water from Coshocton down to around Conesville, or further. Water speed depends of flood conditions. Summertime can be sedate, this time of year she's a raging.

Good Luck,

Shawn

5. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    this time of year i use cut shad on one pole,live shiner on the other, most of the time.catfishing is slow for me on the tusk right now and sometimes you can pick up a pike or two on the shiner.be careful,the river is unstable right now.good luck.