Tuscarawas River Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by rockbass, Aug 21, 2006.

1. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Any other Ohio members fishing the Tusc River?

The catfishing has been slow for me lately with the low water levels. Haven't been hearing many flatties with any decent size coming from the river either. Only a couple 11-12 lbs at the local tourney this weekend. and one 4.4 lbs at my tourney. The year started off good for me and a few friend's and family with at least 15 either caught by me or my one friend over 20 lbs. with a couple over 30. Lately though, the big ones have been in hiding:sad2: Even the larger channel cats have been hiding a bit, but I have caught several smaller 4-7 lbers in the last few weeks. Bluegill have been producing good for me lately too, but the big fish must just be in deeper holes......the water is way down

2. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Been a long time since I've read some of your reports Rocky....Just now got a computer after my old one was hit by lightning in March. Looking forward to catching up on some of the post you all made..... Good luck ....DA KING !!! :cool2:

3. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good to hear from you Rick! It has been a long long time! Welcome back:smile2:

4. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My son just caught a 28 lb flattie out of the Hocking this past weekend. I know its not he Tusc. but the two are very similar rivers....size,structure, etc. It was in 4' of water. Think these cooler nights lately are gonna put them into a feeding frenzy. Just want to wish you some very good luck anytime you get out! By the way his was caught on a 6" gill.

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been catchign some smaller (less than 10 lbs) flatties from the river. I know TCBA's brother also caught a 27 lber. The larger fish are starting to hit good, so I am hoping to get into a few soon. It has been a while for me to get any larger flatties........everything has been under 20 lbs:crazy:

6. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    im like 3 mins from the tusc river and i found a hole cant say ive caught any decent sized flatties but did hook 3 times in to one that snapped 15 lb test would thought it was a turtle had i not seen them about 10 feet from the bank

7. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    stick with it maverick, you'll get him in !! the 27 lbs flattie that my brother caught broke him off and he hit again 30 minutes later and he landed him. the flattie still had his hook and leader in the corner of its mouth.

8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio

Definately! Maybe try to loosen your drag a bit, and/or upping your line size too. If the area is heavily wooded, you might want heavier tackle/line to be able to bully the fish out.

9. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Caught another 8 flatties over the weekend. only 2 of them were larger though. biggest was 30 or so, the other that I got a measure of was 36 inches. No real big ones yet. The flatties are hitting good though and that's a good thing:lol:

10. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee
    what part of the tusc are yall fishin?

11. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish anywhere from Dover Dam, to West Lafayette on the Tusc.

12. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    One over 30 lbs and a 36 incher too and the big ones aint biting yet ??? OMG :roll_eyes: GIMME A BREAK !!! those are BIG fish !!

13. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Grow up bud. Thos eare big fish if you think so. For Flatties, they are not huge. they are nice, but I am nto that impressed by 30 lb fish any more. Still love getting them though, and haven't been able to break 40 yet

14. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Did some more cattin tonight. Entered Cripple Creek's tourney, so I was after channels only. Ended up only catching one small channel 4 lbs, but caught an 11 lb flathead, and a 22 lb flathead. A few bowfin were in the mix too of course, but they don't count:lol:

15. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fished the river for 2 hours tonight across from the Cemetary here in Gnaden. Caught one 10 lb flattie and that was it. Felt good to get out after the last couple weeks of work:cool2:

16. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    i hear ya i have been off work all week and still have yet to get a line wet so i guess i am gonna have to go back to work just so i can fish