Tuscarawas River 4/26, Ohio River 4/27

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by cheezemm2, Apr 28, 2008.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, after approximately 17 hours of kayaking in two days, I'm dragging this morning, but what better way to spend the morning's coffee than post about FISHING!

4/26-Tusc. River
    First, an experimental section of the Tusc. for chasing flatheads. I was in the east of Coshocton stretch and found it to be a little too fast for my liking. A lot of work to paddle back upstream, but doable!

Baits used: Frozen Cut Shad
    Weights used: 1oz, 2oz bank sinkers
    Bite Total: 5
    Fish Total: 2 channel cats
    Water Gauge height at time of fish: 2.83ft (I think)

Most interesting thing about the Tusc. was the fish either slammed the bait or pulled the tap tap, gone. Both fish came in the end of riffles into deeper slower stretches on an outside bend. Channels were both about 6.5lbs a piece.

4/27-Ohio River
    Launched the yaks and did some smallie/whitebass fishing in the creeks and after getting bored with that, settled down for cats.

Baits used: Frozen Cut Shad/Frozen Chubs
    Weights Used: 1oz, 2oz, bank sinkers
    Bite Total: Too many to count
    Fish Total (b/t two people): 13 channel cats, 5 flatheads, 2 rockbass, 5 smallies, 1 largemouth, and 1 angry softshell!
    Water Gauge at time of fish: 13ft and some change, 2 gates open at the dam

The Ohio river fish are definitely moving, most fish came in deeper sections with the most current. A lot of tapping without takers, but later in the evening the fish started to committ to the bait often times swallowing the hook (silly channels) if you let them run for more than 5-10 secs. Biggest flattie was in the low teens and largest channel was 8, maybe 9 lbs. (didn't weight this one)
    2 fish that ended up leaving with the hook both spit up multiple pieces of cut, so they were definitely staying in the area, cleaning house.

I will have pics of the Ohio kayak trip up tonight, even the infamous kayak double that had my buddy trying to figure out what the heck to do:tounge_out:

Oh, and canadian geese apparently think kayaks are large geese trying to steal their territory. I wish I had a video camera for the "attack"

I owe some PM's, will get to those tonight!

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like you had a productive trip. congrats on the good fishing...rollo

3. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    Congrats on the fish. Around what area of the Ohio were you fishing? how is your yak set up for night fishing?thinkin about giving it a try.

4. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will shoot you a PM with some of the areas I normally launch out of and explain the rigging in detail. I will need to take some pictures and explain. The toughest part of the whole thing is figuring out a way that anchoring works for you. I will try to work on this tonight...

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    awesome trip. A 14+# channel was caught around new phily last saturday night in a local tournament.

6. arv1

arv1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish the Tusc often the fishing can be awsome especially around Dover Dam. Know it well.

7. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    congrates on the trip nice fish rick

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    arv welcome to the boc