Tuscarawas County Catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Tangler, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Thank you all for your greetings!

As I said before, I fish primarily in the Tuscarawas County area. My initial goal this year was to land a big flathead like the ones some of you are pictured with in your photos. I had fished in one lake last year that was river fed near Dover and thought I had found a textbook habitat for these monsters.

Six months later I have not caught one flathead all year despite landing a very ample amount of channel cats, including my PB of 14 pounds. So I have a few thoughts abut my location that I would like to hear some input on.

As I said before, the pond that I am working is riverfed year-round. Seems to be fairly deep wth many coves and shallows. I have fished every conceivable area of this pond with many types of bait, live and cut. With all the channel cats that I have brought in, I am baffled as to how I could have went all year thus far without a single flattie.

One thing I had noted was that this lake is laden with gar (a ton of them), bowfin, snappers, and many many leatherback turtles. With these predatory creatures flourishing is it possible that there is not a sufficient food supply for the big ones? Or is it possible that I am just overthinking this whole pond and there are no flats in it?

Let me know what you think and I appreciate any ideas.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    What baits have you tried?

3. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    I have used liver, seasoned liver, cut shad, live bluegill, cut bluegill, crayfish, night crawlers, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Something should work, especially the live baits. Maybe the spot just doesn't hold any.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Very good possibility it may not hold the big flats or may only hold just a few. There is a couple ponds here that are river fed that I fish once in awhile. I have caught channels in the range of 8-12lbs but no flatheads to be caught. This summer I was there twice an caught only channels.

6. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    The thought that this pond doesnt hold any flats blows me away. Everything that i have read about the dwellings of these monsters is available at this pond. I primarily try to stay in ten feet of water or less, only casting towards the deep part occasionally. Would it be worth hitting the deep area more?

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Since you are not catching any, nothing different you try can hurt your catch rate.

I also think we had a late spawn in a lot of places that may be affecting things a bit.

8. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i THINK i know the pond that you are fishing in and it does hold a few flatheads but the BIG problem with that pond is the GAR and BOWFIN they will not leave live baits alone and constantly kill the baits. i would try fishing the Tusc River and forget about the pond unless you want to catch channel cats. i think you have used a good selection of baits but the whole problem is that the bowfin have pretty much taken over the pond. if you fish the Tusc river try live bluegill and live creek chubs (as big as you can find). GOOD LUCK !!

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I had said before it may not really hold any flats or just a few all tho I would say again there are probably some there. Sometimes an area can just out right give a man the fits! Have you tried to use any live baits that are native to this pond area such as shad ect? It may well be worth trying to catch fresh live baits right there. I would most difinately try the deeper area's also. Keep us all informed on this fishing area if you would as it may help others in areas that we have a fishing interest on.

10. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Yes I started using a cast net this year and am catching all of my bait. there are a ton of shad and I have no problem rounding up a dozen of them in a few throws.

On another note, I have witnessed one flathead pulled out of there about 2 years ago. She was about 2 pounds so she offered no more than a glimmer of hope that I may one day get to fight with one of her grandparents. But since then nothing.

Also, just a little background, my inability to land a flat is not from lack of commitment. I go at least four times a week and have been on this schedule since April.

11. formula383

formula383 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Tangler,
    This pond happen to be beside of I-77? If so hearing all this is a big let down. I always figured it would be a great spot. I believe that right as the river is coming down from a hard rain or flood would be the best time though, that hasnt happened lately though.
    :wink::tounge_out:

12. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Your thinking of the right pond. there just has to big big flats in there. But I have tried everything I can think and havent pulled one yet :sad2:. I think that I just need to find the right ammunition or something. If your looking for nice channels i suggest tossing cut shad out and wait for the tug. No flathead success on my end though:angry:.

13. formula383

formula383 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ya i never have fished there just thought about it. Wouldnt mind trying the channels though. I also havent really heard of to many really large flatheads caught up the river that far. 10 to 15 pounds usually. R u fishing the pond from the bank or boat? I would put my money on the spot where the river comes in at for a spot for flats.

14. windsor

windsor New Member

State:
    ohio
    whats up man its kyle i tried fishing today and i didn't catch anything and i am pissed

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    does this pond have any type of fallen trees or other cover? maybe target those areas or just say heck with it and find a new waterway

16. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    Yea i got a boat this year and dont plan on fishing there quite as much. Going to tappan and clendenning for the flats. still will hit this spot for summer fish fry filets :)

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    If the lake is river fed, then you need to get out of the lake and hit the mouth of the river. Those flats are going to take up ambush positions in the river and eat the bait fish that are swimming up. Very hard to catch a flat on a river fed lake.

18. cantonjim

cantonjim New Member

State:
    ohio
    if u want a fishing partner sometimes i would meet u.i want one of them monster in them pictures also lets hook up:smile2:

19. cantonjim

cantonjim New Member

State:
    ohio
    lets hook up so to say

20. rich crabtree

rich crabtree New Member

State:
    ohio
    i live in grovecity ohio,but i was born and raised massilon ohio, the tusc runs in mass, iv fished it at diff times , diff bait, diff spots , i have only been catting for 3 years now , i have only found flatheads , on the north side of cherry road, i have fished all the water from new phill, to canal fulton , and so far all i get are dinks north of the cherry road to south canal fulton, :wink: