Tusc River Catfishing 12/26

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by rockbass, Dec 27, 2009.

1. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hit the Tusc for a combo cattin/saugeye trip this afternoon. The temp wasn't bad, but the wind was blowing a little.

After snaggin 3 5 inch long minnows while throwing the Husky Jerk for saugeye, I decided to put them on the hook for cats instead of the crawlers I was using on the extra rod. Turned out to be what the fish were after. I caught 3 channels on these minnows. I was surprised because the minnows didn't have much to them. They were around 5 inches long, but were almost clear and weren't very big around. Apparently they were in there thick enough to attract cats though.

Level was up prob 3 ft above normal, fishing below a small island in an eddy next to swift water. In this river, 5 ft above norm is flooding, so 3 ft is ideal for bankin for channels. I'm hoping to get back out tomorrow but better prepared for the cat action.

2. JWinNewPhilly

JWinNewPhilly New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good to see that you are getting out there even in the cold stuff Rocky!

I've tried talking Shane into going out, but he won't have anything to do with the cold weather.:roll_eyes: I'm hoping we get some more days like last year.
    We put the boat in at Tusky and went up river last year on Jan. 5th, it was in the mid 40's if I remember right. Seems like the only time we use that nice new boat ramp is in the winter when the water is up. Because during the summer you can only go about a half mile each way before you have to get out and push the boat.:angry:

3. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice hearing from ya! I was beginnin to think you started believing the rumors hahahahha

yeah that ramp is nice, but the Tusc for the most part isn't a river for larger boats. flatbottoms and canoes are the best for the Tusc! We are getting one here in gnaden too.....I'm pumped for it of course....hahaha

higher water is the easiest time to find cats in numbers in the Tusc, I just happened to fish a spot I haven't fished since I was a kid and caught a few by chance. bring on the spring bite!

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    nice job rick

5. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Congrats on getting out and catching a few. My season will probally start just as the ice is off and the channels are feeding on the shad die off on the wind blown side of the lake. Caught a 9# channel last year during about the 1st week of march...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  6. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I occasionally fish for cats in dec and Jan, but I officially start back after them mid to end of Feb. I've got 5-7 other people that NEVER used to catfish till mid to end of March until they started seeing my reports and/or fished with me, now they jump at their first chance to hit my hotspots before I can get there......hahaha. :rotfl: