turtles

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by david.lay25, Jul 29, 2008.

1. david.lay25

david.lay25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    guys seems like no matter what part of the great miami river i go to in dayton all i catch is turtles , any help would be appreciated. i still pull in the occasional channel but not as many all i see is turtles everywhere.:embarassed:

2. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    what are you using for bait turtles will go after hot dogs first more than liver also the high water has not helped either the last time i went out on the gmr i caught a 20 lb carp and 5 turtles largest being a 6 lb snapper my friend i can feel your pain rick try nightcrawler or creek chubs for bait also might help out rick

3. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    you also might changed your spots also too and changed your presentations as well you might use a slip float to keep your bait of the bottom rick

4. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    guy i worked with caught a 40 pound snapper off of a boat ramp in the gmr lol a bait change is a good idea. try and find stuf they dont like, from my experience they love hot dogs, and bacon, so i wouldnt use those. try shad or blue gill

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

Hmmmmmmm ..... don't know what that would be .... when I was trapping turtles ... we used anything that was meat, of any kind and it didn't seem to matter ... if they are hungry (which they most always are) there isn't much you can throw out there they won't go after ..... Garry- :eek:oooh:

6. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    ya hot dogs is a big no no and dont try to chum with dog food either i use live bait and catch alot less turtles such as gills or gold fish carp etc..if you ues cut bait try it in fast moving water or they will get that to hope this helps i have caught my share of turtles and learn from these mistakes i have made..

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    this is a bad time of year for turtles..the cats are not feeding much and the turtles are getting to the bait much quiker tah the cats..about all I use is cut shad and in shallow water the turtles will find it in minutes...go to live bait and try fisihng deeper water.

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    maybe try a bobber and suspend the bait off the bottom?

9. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    DO NOT USE TOES,OR DOUGHBALL,FINGERS.
    THERE NOT TO FUSSY.

MOOSE:smile2::smile2:

10. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    in my experience anything consisting of meat the turtles will tear up. i think it's time for you to give live bait a go! they'll still hit live bait just seems like not nearly as much. they'd rather have something already dead they don't have to kill to eat.

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Besides using live bait you might try and fish deeper water. I seem to get more turtles when fishing closer to the banks and shallower spots.

12. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    i think it is just that time of year when no matter what bait you use you will end up catching turtles..........july and august are known as TURTLE AND GAR MONTHS here on the Tuscarawas River !!! i think youve just got to put up with the turtles and be happy when you are lucky enough to land a fish (that isnt a gar) !! fishing in as deep of water as you can find will definitely help slow down the turtles !!!

13. bigman44

bigman44 New Member

State:
    ohio
    my buddy kills all turtles he catches... and he dont catch them anymore.

14. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    friend of mine also kills them. one time one swallowed one of his favorite hooks and he said he hoped it chokes and punted it back into the water

15. cali2ohio

cali2ohio New Member

State:
    Milford, OH
    i have deffinately got more turtles on cut bait than live bait., but what im confused about is... using a slip float in the river......????? wouldnt the current just take it down stream.

16. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Caught 3 big softshells last night on the gmr. they all hit dead chubs but thats the only thing cats would touch too last night.

17. cali2ohio

cali2ohio New Member

State:
    Milford, OH
    what kind of cats did ya catch and how many?

18. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    2 flats biggest was 12# and 7 channels 3-5#s