Turtles

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by elshale, Sep 21, 2005.

1. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    I have a 3 - 4 acre lake in my back yard and love fishing Cats. I have pulled some monsters out a one small cat. But my main problem is if I use liver or any cut bait I pull in 20 to 1 turtles over cats. And these turtles range from Mud(painted) turtles to very large snappers. What should I do. I am thinking in about starting a very large pot of neighbor hood turtle soup...Please if you have had this problem help. I have a great Bluegill Population, Bass I have caught range from small to 1 lbs. And so far I have caught a 10 pound, 15 pound , 5 pound and 1 lbs channels. And a bout 35 turtles.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Personally I would try for just the turtles for now to get rid of them

3. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    I read on GA DNR that they said that turtles are just a nussance and not really hurting the fishing. So I didnt want to do some harm to the pond since tutrles are good at cleaning up dead things. Do you think I should just kill the snappers or any turtle over a certain size. Like large snappers and painted. also when I kill them what next can I throw them back into the pond for food or what.

4. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

Dude, I'd catch one, kill it, and impale it on a stake by the side of the pond for all his little turtle buddies to see. Sure it sounds cruel but something similar worked for me a few years back with rabbits getting in my garden. Animals are not stupid. Make an example out of one. On a serious note, go to the turtle section you might find some good material there. It seems like there would be something you could add to the water to run them off. Man I hate turtles. :cursing:

5. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Do you think cutting the head off and throwing them back could cause a promlem in the lake obviously the other turtles and fish will eat them right.

6. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    I try to take my pistol when pulling up trot lines in a pond we fish. I give big snappers one in the head and throw them back in for the little ones to eat. Snapping turtles eat your baitfish.

7. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Cant shoot them but I bet one good chop to the head with my ax will do the residential same. Should I do it to only snappers or big mud turtles too.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U can have the state come in and trap the turtles. or remove them ur self.

9. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    I guess I will come to a medium. I will Kill only the big turtles.

10. typer181

State:
    Indy
    Smaller turtles will still do the clean-up if anything dies in your lake. I have caught many on trot lines with chicken liver, and have had better luck (if you can call it luck) with circle hooks than with plain shank or kahle hooks. You are lucky to have your own lake.

11. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Pond really but a nice sized 4 acres. Me and my daughter go fishing every few days it is awsome. some times I think that maybe I should use a bobber and fish off the bottom but close to it. Have you had any success with that or do you thin a carolina rig is the best bet.

12. typer181

State:
    Indy
    I have had better luck with the carolina rig for bigger fish, but most of the guys I know that target eating size channels do better on a bobber about 12" off the bottom. I don't know if you have ever thought about baiting a hole in your lake. You can basically 'train' the fish to feed at a certain spot by consistently throwing out dog food or any other cheap food like item every day. Eventually, when you throw out the feed, you will start a surface feeding frenzy that's fun to watch! Have fun out there!

13. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    thanks I will try setting a bobber to see if I can get me so eating channels. The Blue gills and young bass goto town on my bait. So I have been making bluegill cutbait ever once and awhile. How does that work for you. I have still had most luck with nightcrawlers. I will also try the feeding see how it works. is dog or catfood better Ihave heard about cutting holes in catfood can and throwing it out 30 min before fishing does that work also?

14. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I have cut up bluegills for a long time for channels. It works great, but you have to get smaller pieces, since they cant fit as much in their mouths most of the time. Tight lines.

Travis.

15. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    You go t that right I do about 2 x 1 strips.

16. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have not had a turtle bite in years. I would say just leave them alone. It don't matter how many you kill more will migrate to the pond it happens every spring. As for turtles eating your bait fish yeah they eat some. But have you ever really watched a turtle catch it's food? Turtles are pretty slow and are not that successful on hurting the baitfish population.

17. elshale

elshale New Member

State:
    Snellville, Georgia
    Yeah someone says that turtles keep snakes out too. Has anyone heard that