Turtles!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Relocated-Yankee, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    If turtles are constantly stealing my bait, am I fishing in the wrong spot? I know it's turtles cause I have actually caught a couple! Them suckers snap and hiss when you try to get your hook out. :smile2:

This is my channel cat hole, I've caught a few nice ones from here, but now I am just feeding turtles. :angry:
    Do turtles have any effect on catfish???Should I move to a new hole, or is there other options?? :confused2:

Thanx,

Scott

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    What are you baiting with Scott. Turtles have a extreme fondness for
    liver and worms.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah those turtles can be mean little buggers, i guess id be mad to if i had a hook in my mouth lol:smile2:.Not a whole lot you can do about the turtles but maybe change the kind of bait your using or just find another hole to fish.

4. Relocated-Yankee

State:
    Goldsboro
    Mostly fish with liver. I've tried fresh, garlic salt cured, sun cured, even vanilla cured. The turtles like them all!!

I tried switching to shrimp, but something is still stealing my bait. Probably turtles as well??

Scott

5. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    yeah probably not unless you got gar there pretty good bait stealers to,that also could be part of the problem.

6. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    to remove the hooks from turtle mouth, I hold the line letting the turtle hang in mid air , His neck will get tired and come out ,,,Then i grab around his neck and squeeze tight ...He cant pull your fist and his head in, and that is all he is worried about.
    I then can remove my hook from his mouth....The red ear is very good to eat...The best is the soft shell,,,as it tastes like frog leggs without the fishy taste...
    The big snapper needs to be treated like pork,,,it will make you sick..

I just always skinned them...
    Try them for bait....There are a lot of asians that will take a few off your hands.
    too many turtles is a bad thing...a couple dont hurt, but a couple dozen!!

7. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc

I've eaten alot of softshell and snapper but never red ear:cool2:.

John

8. Relocated-Yankee

State:
    Goldsboro
    I have seen a few gar around as well, did'nt realize they were bait stealers!!! :crazy:

I guess with the turtles, gills, and gar I just need to find a new hole!! :eek:oooh:

If anyone fishes the Goldsboro NC area, I'm open to suggestions. I'm a bank fisherman so my options are pretty limited. :sad2:

Scott

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hate Turtles... I say Kill'em!!:smile2::smile2:

as for the gar... they are the sneakiest of them all...

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Me and my fishing buddy figured out the magical powers of the Turtle. If you ever at any point in time during the run, hook set or when your reeling them in you think this might be a turtle, it ALWAYS is.

11. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Turtles seem to be really bad this year. Try to fish at night, it seems like turtles must feed primarily by sight. I rarely get a turtle after dark.

12. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    yeah those gar can be a real pain, those things are masters at bait stealing:big_smile: