Turtles, turtles every where.

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by flathunter, Jul 9, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I keep forgeting, every year about this time the softshell turtles come out of the woodwork to destroy every bait I throw...I need to stop fishing in July:big_smile: Today I fed the turtles 3 dozen shad in about 2hrs..Now is the time of Year I start to look forward to the fall fishing season, less people on the water, and less turtles in the water!

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Flathunter - Your right about the turtles. I've caught 3 the past couple times out. Seems they are abundant this year!

3. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This post makes me glad i didn't make the return trip over. But i still hate hearing thats all you got.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    You can bring all the snappers to my house, good eatin there!!

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the turtles will be here long after we are gone but I like the fight they put up when hooked and a little disapointed when I see what it is.

6. Mrs H2O

Mrs H2O New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm not an idiot - but how can you tell the difference between a turtle peck and a fish. Is it Fisherman Voodo or is there a patteren - Bryan doesn't like to answer my silly questions:tounge_out:

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Lady.You have my sympathy for what it is worth.Most of the time you cain;t.If you could tell,you would never let it get on the hook,would you?It is a"could be a turtle"type of guess.peewee-williams

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    A turtle nibbles at the bait ,barle moving rod tip. a fish usually take the bait and keep on moving, bending (loading) the rod. Surprise him with oyur know how.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mrs Mellon you need to take lessons from me, your husband was not a very good pupil, and is still making the same mistakes 4 years latter!:big_smile:

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We use circle hooks & they signs of a turtle bite are clear: The rod normally doesnt "Load Up" it just bounces a little, as someone else said, the turtles just peck at the bait.

11. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    When life gives you turtles make turtle soup

12. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    when reeling them in it's like pulling up a log

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I put a small note ( NO TURTLES PLEASE ) about 3 inches above my hook. This works well. I catch no turtles.

Caution.... Don't put note to far above hook as turtles can't read it more than a few inches away.

14. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LOL Fishman..i gotta try that next time i'm out. The last 2 turtles i caught loaded up my rods just like a cat. They were both fairly large softshells. If the cats don't start biting better i can see alot of us changing our names on here and the site going from BOC to BOT. lol

15. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I know what you mean flathunter, they destroy every bait I throw at channel cats, nightcrawlers, cut baits, shrimp, livers, you name it, they hit it. And it's usually the smaller ones, so the good thing is they usually stay away from my live bluegills, unless it's one of the monster softshells or a big ole' snapper.

16. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Fight? What fight? It's just dead weight. I've caught old shoes that fought better! :lol:
    My brother and I both caught a soft shell this past weekend. We turned them loose, but I hear they are good to eat. Never tried it, but if it's anything like snapper it's got to be good. I just hate cleaning turtles!

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Now thats an idea that just may work...

18. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I caught one back on sunday... I love turtle soup :hungry:

19. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah, I hear ya. When me and Nate went fishin yesterday, the only thing we caught were turtles!

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Just give the turtle a finger(preferably your brothers).You will have the fight of a lifetime.You will have a experience that you will remember when you are a old,old man.Worked for me.peewee-williams