Turtles to eat?

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by SSanta090, Mar 29, 2006.

1. SSanta090

SSanta090 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    How would you clean em with the shell and all? and how much meat is there? Ive got the sliders and snapping turtles here, are they both good to eat?

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    You get a good bit of meat from a larger turtle, you lay them upside down and clean from the bottom to the top if I remember right. Has been awhile since I have seen one cleaned. I know that you can eat the snapping turtles, logger heads and soft shells, but not cooters.

3. ftlstrings

ftlstrings New Member

State:
    MIssouri
    Yup. Most any 10" and bigger turtle is fit to eat, just make sure that it's legal and your water source is clean.

4. ftlstrings

ftlstrings New Member

State:
    MIssouri
    if your water's not clean, you can always leave the turtle in a trough of clean water that youchange every day for a coupla days....

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Lngbo, don't you be keeping any snappers here in Arkansas; they are protected, and they will really jack you up if they catch you with any.

6. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Go to the ODNR web site, under publications there is a nice collection of facts and butchering procedures. I hang mine from the tail then take a pair of vice grips the pull the head out and cut it off. Generally I kill them
    in the evening and let them bleed out over night.http://odnr.com

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    look here for cleaning a turtle. this is from schoes website that was posted here before so im sure he won't mind it being reposted.

me and him had a great post up on step be step but it was deleted after a while of no activity.

http://howtoturtle.blogspot.com/

and they are darn good eating. hope to get some this season. got several two years back but none last year.