Turtles stealing bait?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Apr 24, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have been fishing with live and cut bream lately, and always find that my bream always be gone without the pole ever being hit real hard, just the line moving. I had cut bait on one time and the bait was just ate up. I wondering is this small cats doing this or is it the most hate thing around the turtle?

2. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    turtles would be the only thing I could think of with jaws sharp enough to slice right through a bait without bending your pole. Iv had crawdads take my bait before but you can always tell when its those little buggers.

3. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    If you are in a pond or small lake, the line come back toward you........if you tighten the line it gets slack again........turtle. Not much you can do. If you use a bobber the turtles will go for it.

A long time ago, friend's father-in-law had a beaver pond on his land, 5+ acrers +, that had a huge amount of turtles. We would catch bass/catfish/bluegill with big chunks gone. One afternoon/evening, with 2 22 rifles with scopes and a case of whatever, we shot at every head that we could see sticking up. The next day we went out with a boat and net. We had a boat full of dead turtles...........and we had to bury them....................in 3 years we did it again. It is a never ending story.

4. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Sounds like turtles to me.Not a whole lot you can do besides find another spot to fish.

5. Ice-Berg

Ice-Berg New Member

State:
    Ohio,Cinci

Turtles would swallow it hole then swim away with it in its stomach. So prolly not turtles.

6. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    if its happening repeatedly it would be turtles.

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Happens to me every single year. Heck I even catch turtles on my flyrod!!

8. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Next time you see that happen, you might try a nightcrawler in the same spot. I've been told that turtles in my area will ignore live bait.

-- Rich

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I know for a fact that not all turtles will swallow it whole and get it in the gut. i have had live goldfish and blue gills bitten clean in half. looked like someone took a knife and just cut the back end off of them. i dont know of anything beside a turtle that could do that. it doesnt happen often but it does happen. we catch more turtles on chichen liver than we do on live bait that is for sure.

10. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Around here, if you leave a stringer in the water the turtles will have a big meal, and if you do not pay attention, most of the fish meat will be gone. This is snappers, soft shell, and box. Next to live/dead fish, worms and shrimp are second on the menu. In some/most ponds, turtles will swim to a bobber, then dive down. I have quit fishing some ponds because of this, not worth the effort. If you fish in swamps of the river, you also have gators to contend with. They take the whole bream you are using for bait.

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

like turtle soup any?