TURTLES FOR BAIT

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by FISHSKINNER, Nov 21, 2008.

1. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    Hey I've heard that small turtles, about 3 inches in diameter are good flathead bait. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried them and if they are good bait

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mike,I dont know about that,But when I was about 15 or so ,I caught a softshell on a trotline,Dressed it and used the meat from it for bait. The next morning ,I had a bunch of nice sized channels in the 3-7 lb range

3. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Hey Mike, Take your question to the "Flathead" forum. I bet you'll get some good answers there.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'm sure they'll eat them. I've caugh bass before that have puked up small turtles so if a bass can get them down I'm almost positive a flathead will chow down on one.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back when I trotlined a 670 acre F&G lake a lot, I'd generally catch a few big channel cats each spring with a bunch of baby turtles in their stomachs. Never had any luck using turtle meat for bait on my trotlines, though, and I never had any live baby turtles to put on them.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i've cleaned quite a few differet species of fish with baby turtles in them. honestly i'd say there are better and easier to obtain baits out there.

7. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I've caugt some flatheads on cut water snake b4, never tried turtles.