turtles doing something weird

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by stinkbaitman, Jun 20, 2008.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    dotay while i was drivin back from fishin i saw a normal painted turtle on the side of the road. but the weird this is is that it was sitting in a small muddy hole withi its back legs in it and its front ledgs out. the hole was about 5 inches across. was this thing trying to lay eggs or what?

2. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky
    I can't say what it was doing but I am sure it was not laying eggs. They nest very close to a large water source (pond, lake, ect)and dig a nest to lay the eggs in then cover them up. They do not lay the eggs in water. Maybe just cooling off and raising it's front for a better view of it's surroundings.

3. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    there is a lake on each side of the road where i saw it.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Many tortoise and other reptiles naturally defecate in water when possible.I am 63.I have kept reptiles most of my life.My Spur Thigh has done this since a hatch-ling.My Box turtles and Gopher Tortoises of the past did this.Some experts have said it is because they eat vegetation which often impacts them.This moisture helps them go.Some theories have them absorbing moisture through their anus.

I do know that many of my vegetarian and meat eating reptiles regularly did it,be they snakes,lizard,turtle or tortoise.If the accessible water container is large enough for them to enter their body or rear,they will often do it.It is often recommended to provide such for reptiles.Some of my tree living Snakes and lizards would always come to the bottom of the cage to go in their water.

I use to turn loose my large Chameleons in isolated trees in my yard for the Summer as they would stay put and feed on insects.I would keep a container of water at the base of each tree.Some would come down and go in the water at times in the night.This was a long slow trip for a Chameleon!

Sometimes they do this to soak and help shed skin.They don't always go.They sometimes spent many hours from start to finish when they went,before they were through.

Due to most reptiles carrying Salmonella changing and washing the water container needs to be done carefully.

In my yard I have a bird bath that sits on one shallow bath top at ground level and another one on top.Bottom is for toads and ground animals.The top is for birds and climbing animals.Both are well used day and night.Birds,Bats,Toads,Shrews,etc.The deep Bird Baths you often see are of little use to anything and can cause drowning.Chlorine city water must be kept out of reptile water by letting it sit for 24 hours,Chlorine in water is a death sentence for fish and reptiles.

I worked swing shift and was on call 24-7-365 for most of my life.This let me observe critters at all times of the days and nights of the year.I could keep many of my reptiles outside for our long south east Georgia summer.You have to have dogs to keep the loose cats from killing them.

Not only did you look.YOU SAW!You noticed and questioned.Millions have looked at the same thing and just saw "a turtle and a mud hole".You have a gift.You can ignore it or you can train yourself to "see" more in everything that you look at.Most are ignorant of and have no use for such.They go through life looking at everything yet seeing only what little they wish to see.I wish you the best.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee