Turtles and more turtles!

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by Larry Beever, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    It's been a good year for me so far. I've got
    maybe 50# of turtle in my freezer and another
    14 turtles in my backyard swimming in a wadding pool. I'm sure I'll be eating turtle all winter long and it's far from over yet. Not bragging,
    (well maybe) But I'm feeling good about it!
    How's it been for the rest of you?

2. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    only three but I'm the only one who eats turtle one about 15# one about 30# and one pushin 40# bunch more where they come from. got turtles every where. All common

3. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Bros, I didn't even know you could eat turtle!!!:eek:oooh: How is it prepared and what does it taste like? I am what has been referred to as a "food adventurer" so please do tell!:wink:
    Jess

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    jesse, jeremy did a picture post of how to clean one. there's not a dang thing i can add to that. hell it should be in the library if it isn't aleady there! i always parboiled my turtle, then fried it with seasoned white flour. it is awesome. i haven't really tried for turtles much this year since momma had the baby; she loves to catch them and we have contests who can get the biggest snapper. it doesn't feel right going after them without her. i don't eat them anymore since she really likes them, so we just catch and release. my biggest this year was incidental while fishing for blue cats, at 35#. it was a really old one, shell was worn down slick. i also caught a little one that is not even as big as a 50 cent piece. kept him for a pet for the girls, and he eats out of their hands. that won't be happening when he grows a little though! it's amazing how much something that small can eat. when i clean fish, i will slice up the hearts and livers and he tears em up! the girls caught a bunch of dragonfly larvae in a creek and he loves those things. good stuff. hey larry, sounds like you're tearing them up this year! always good to have a supply of something you can't get in the winter to eat on! keep it up!

5. Jenni Belle

Jenni Belle New Member

State:
    Illinois

Turtle is very, very good. I suggest everyone try it at least once! :wink:

6. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Never have eaten turtle, what kind do you eat?? I caught a big softshell turtle this year.

Attached Files:

7. Jenni Belle

Jenni Belle New Member

State:
    Illinois

Snapers are the best ( I think) The only bad thing is that is takes a LONG time to prepare them. I make the best turtle soup! :wink:

8. Jenni Belle

Jenni Belle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    And my receipe is a secret! :big_smile:

9. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    HMMM. I think next time I catch a snapper I might have to take him home:eek:oooh:, I've only thought they were good bait. Haven't caught a snapper this year, they aren't native in this part of NM and all the ones i catch are released pets.

10. Jenni Belle

Jenni Belle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Released pets??? Who wants a snapper for a pet??

11. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    That's exactly what I say.. There is this huge reptile expo here and they sell baby ones for $10 a piece. Of course they grow too big for a tank and then have to be thrown into the stream or lake.

12. Jenni Belle

Jenni Belle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You would think people would know that before getting one. They aren't exactly friendly creatures!

13. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    When snappers are small they are rather docile. I caught one last year that was about the size
    of a saucer and he was'nt agressive at all.
    They get that hot temper as they get bigger.But if you raised one yourself I wonder if he'd get
    meaner as he grew or not.

BTW I would'nt reccomend anyone taking a chance
    handling even a small one from the wild. Snappers are slow to release after they bite!

14. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    aint doin too hot on the catfish right now so i will start tryin for the turtles, by the way missy, you cant go around saying you got the best turtle soup and not share... i need to find a good recipe.:cool2:

15. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Well Jenni... I'd have to say that the reason
    for this web site is to share your knowledge!
    Now if your willing to share with me your
    turtle soup recipe ...I belive I would be
    willing to share another secret about turtles
    that I hav'nt necessarily shared yet.
    However, If you don't want to do this ...Then
    I'm not likely to respnd to your future posts.
    And believe me, I can give you valuable advice
    about turtles! Let's talk! PM me If you want
    or else!!! :)

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    an adult snapper raised from a a baby will not take on the aggression of a wild caught adult. not in my experience anyway. they will bite, but only because they learn that their owners mean food! also, a pet one takes just as long to get off your hand as a wild one. my girls love turtles, so we always have an assortment around the house. i had one when i was younger for a few years that would nip hands, he was maybe five pounds. he never nipped anybody hard, but the rest i have seen have bit hard every time.

17. Jenni Belle

Jenni Belle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Or else!?!?

18. Jenni Belle

Jenni Belle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They bite very hard! I have SEVERAL scars on my hands from the little bas-turds!

19. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    A false threat on my part. My point only being that if you'll share then I'll share. So will
    others here. So loosen up if you will.
    BTW, Welcome to the BOC! Nice to have you here. :)

20. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Boy, this thread went south quick.....From "who likes turtles?" to "I'M GONNA KICK YER A$$!!!" LOL! Just kidding, y'all.....Don't shoot the redneck. He shoots back. :big_smile: