turtles and catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by I hate turtles, Aug 20, 2009.

1. I hate turtles

I hate turtles New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Will turtles that are biting on your bait deter cats from biting it?

2. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Absolutely not, I catch a lot of cats while turtles and gar are there. I catch turtles on about every trip I go on and they obviously didn't mess with the cats that I catch ; )

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Just gotta sort them out!! LOL Welcome to the BOC.

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No, but they sure will disturb your bitetime window and the commotion of catching one and unhooking the stupid things don't help any either.
    I'll jerk my bait away from turtles and recast. sometimes it helps other times it'll just find it again.
    Braid can be great for distinguishing a turtle bite from a cat bite.
    I kinda suspect turtle bites on the line will also fray braid and cause it to break next time you set the hook.

Welcome to the BOC

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the mighty BOC! Nope.. it'll just make where you'll get more confused as to whats striking your bait..:confused2:

6. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    ive caught three softshell turtles the last two times ive been out. its aggravating. but i instantly know its a turtle by my rod tip. itll bend down real slow in a two step forward, one step back type action. ive considered diminishing their population with everyone i catch because they are very populated in this lake. but i dont, ive only had to off one due to the treble hook bein completely through one nostril and the bottom lip. i just let em go because as aggravating as they are, they just eatin too. if i knew how to clean and cook em it would be different. no sense in killin it just to throw it back in the water.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    naw shouldnt bother it none and trust me for some reason im a turtle magnet lol

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome to the BOC Mark!:0a25:.Turtles are bothersome.I take my brother along to spots with turtles.Turtles become soup,problem solved.:eek:oooh:

9. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    I couldnt tell if that affectsa the fishing but whenever I'm catchin a bunch of turtles i dont do so good on cats

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had days when the turtles are tearing up your bait as soon as it hits bottom...so yes I think they can ruin a trip.

11. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Turtles will indeed work the same area and like the same baits as catfish, but they do seem to coexist one not hindering the other, Welcome to the BOC good question!

12. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I have all ways wondered that myself but it makes since :cool2: