Turtle recipes

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by ole whiskers, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

What are some of the ways to cook turtle?

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

3. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    The way I do mine is pressure cook them,put raw turtle in about 2 to 3 inches of water with 1 medium onion 1 bay leaf for 15 min. @ 15 pounds. Let cooker cool down remove meat , let it cool down, salt and pepper and any other spices you like . roll in flour and cook just like chicken.It will be nice and crispy. I've had people that would not eat a snapper say that was best chicken they ever had

4. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    You can also pressure cook them and then make
    a turtle stew the same way you would do with
    beef. Good stuff! Try it, you'll like it!
    BTW Don't drain the water off after you pressure cook it. There's a lot of flavor in
    it.

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    LOL, I had never at turtle until a month or so ago. Let me tell you about my experience.

I was up North at a FOB that is run by the Spanish, and the chow hall there sucks, and they are charging the tax payers 33 dollars per each of my meals. I wouldnt pay 50 cents for the crap they fed us. I ate MRE's the last 2 days I was there, because the food was so bad! Anyway......

One day while I was eating in there, they had this "Soup", had some shrimp in it and some other things, thought it didnt look bad, so I got me a bowl of it. It wasnt that bad, kind of tasted strange, but it was somewhat edible. I got to the bottom of the soup, and there was this black thing in it. I dug it out and started looking at it, and it was the foot of a turtle, including toenails! I held it up, and asked the guys who had the other feet....lol we found 1 other foot......nasty.....that was my last meal in there.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Turtle Stew

This was originally a dove recipe but it makes an outstanding turtle stew, and I’ve even used chunks of beef and it makes an excellent beef stew. This is not exact, you have to wing it and use some S.W.A.G. here:

Remove all fat from turtle pieces (very important)

Roll turtle in mixture of flour, s & p; fry until brown

You can use the oven at 350 or an electric skillet or cooker; steam (covered) in a little water till meat is loose (about an hr)

Add your veggies; celery, green pepper, blk or hot pepper, diced tomatoes, onions, carrots, and…….

One can of cream of mushroom soup (w/ water added if the can instructions call for it) per turtle.

Simmer for about 2-3 hrs. Finish seasoning to taste.

Try this recipe with other meats too, you’ll like it

Richard, put some dove in it, that what it was to begin with

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    "Simmer for about 2-3 hrs. Finish seasoning to taste."

I want to modify that to read: Simmer for the length of time that suits your taste (expect 1-3 hrs) Finish seasoning to taste.

I prefer it not cooked so long; some like it cooked down almost like a burgoo. I like for the meat to still be lightly clinging to the bone.

8. LOGGERHEAD1

LOGGERHEAD1 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I USUALLY BROIL IN FOIL WITH LEMON JUICE AND TONY CEASAREANS.IT USUALLY TURNS OUT GREAT 350 DEGREES FOR 50 MIN.:0a22:

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Rob; welcome to the BOC.

10. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Just wanted to tell you guys that I just heard that you could eat turtle and I will be trying all these recipes as soon as I catch me a good size turtle!!!:eek:oooh::wink: Oh and THANK YOU to Jeremy for posting how to clean one!!!:worship::worship::worship::0a31:

Jesse

11. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Once you try it you'll probably be hooked. And
    with the same bait you catch cats with you can
    also catch turtles. (you probably already knew that) So from now on you'll have two different
    game to fish for at the same time and that
    definately adds to the fun!