Turtle Recipes

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by Catfish_addiction, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Catfish_addiction

Catfish_addiction New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you have any Turtles Recipes please post them here. I've read and heard alot of people say that Turtle is great table fair. I plan on catching and and cooking a few Soft Shell Turtles in the next couple of month, so if You have a good recipe, or can get your catfish skinners on one, please post it here....

Thank you in advance,
    Catfish_addiction
    Michael Ryno

2. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    i havent cooked ne yet but everything ive ever heard is you just do the same as with a fish. The key to making it taste good is to let it clean out in clean water for a few days to a cuople weeks( ive heard both). Also the neck meat is supposed to be the best

3. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Grew up around Salem Illinois where as kids we used to catch snapping turtles out of the ponds and creeks. We would bring them back to our Grandparents house and my Grandpa would dress them and Grandma would fry them up like fried chicken. The neck what I can remember was all white meat, my cousin and I used to fight over it---if I can remember (it's been at least 26 yr.) we loved snapping turtle.

4. Catfish_addiction

State:
    Texas
    My Buddy and I are going to try and get out later this week and put out some Turtle lines. I'll keep you posted....Michael

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I usaully fry turtle like I would fish. Would be good grilled, baked, soup or however you wanted to fix it.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    turtle can be tough just fried. try this.

take the turtle meat. soak in milk over night prior to cooking.

take a breading like flour mixed with corn meal cracker or bread crumbs and season and salt to taste.

bread the turtle and fry in oil untill the breading is browned. don't worry if its not done yet.

place the breaded turtle in a crock pot. put some condensed cream of mushroom soup on the turtle. just enough to cover the meat. dont add water to the soup. then place another layer of turtle over this and repete with soup. turn on low heat and cook for 3-4 hours.

this will soften the meat and it will be as tender as roast beef.

enjoy with some smashed taters and corn and dinner rolls.:cool:

7. Catfish_addiction

State:
    Texas
    I haven't had time to do any Turtle catching. I'm going on a Fishing/Camping trip this weekend, maybe after I get back I'll have time. I'll post some pics when I get started.....Michael

8. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    Well, I had me a snapper, though a small one, and went through the long & tedious process of getting that meat out of him after letting him set in repeatedly clean water for over a week.:crazy: So, I clean up the meat, dip it in egg, flour generously, and deep fry. I ate the back straps and must admit, if they were bigger, they'd be worth going after, but the rest of the meat was tough as a ten cent steak. Not too sure I wanna try that again.:confused2:

9. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    the crock pot recipe will make some good turtle. my favorite recipe is take the turtle, put it in the pressure cooker with a couple bay leaves and about 1/2 cup water. bring it up to 15 # pressure. cook 35 minutes. 45 if the turtle meat is more than 5#. open carefully, drain, let cool. bread it like fish and pan or deep fry till its crisp.
    a third way to do it is bread and fry it crispy, put it in a pan covered tightly and bake it in the oven 350 for an hour or so till it falls off the bone. you will have to add some liquid to keep it from drying out. beer, wine,water, or the cream of mushroom soup will work. i recommend beer, just don't soak it down.
    turtle is one of my favorite meats, the pressure cooker thing will make it one of yours.
    catwacker

10. ETEX-JIGGER

ETEX-JIGGER New Member

State:
    TYLER, TEXAS
    Add A Little "tony's" And Anything Is Great