Turtle problems

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tigdewalt, Jun 9, 2008.

1. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky
    This weekend a friend and I went to a pond he had stocked with cats from a truck about 7-8 years ago just to see what was there. We caught a few but they were Flatheads and only 1 channel which is what he was sold, anyway the owner of the pond said he would like to have a mess to eat so we saved 5 between 3 and 6 pounds for him they were on a stringer and when we pulled them out the largest one had been half eaten by turtles or a turtle. this pond is full of turtles anyone know of a way to caught them out, for population control not to totally remove them just control them. we have caught more turtles than cats this weekend. I will be switching to a wire cage for the fish when keeping a few.

2. tigdewalt

tigdewalt New Member

State:
    ky
    I found a link here for traps

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    use a burlap sack to keep your fish in and the turtles wont bother them

4. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    How come you didn't see the turtle? Never had a turtle eat live fish. Snakes yeppers but not a turtle. Turtles have a bad reputation but they do a good job doing what they do best, contact your local fish and game dep't sounds like to many fish not nuff food.
    Good luck
    keep them lines wet

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You can buy some net type traps and tie a bluegill head inside it. The turtles swin in but cant swim out. Ive had good luck with those as well as the home made box traps.