turtle/gar problem?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by gamaCatsu, Aug 14, 2009.

1. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    went lastnight to try a new spot at the river behind my house, using whole shad that was frozen about 6inches long, i cast out in a sharp bend in the river, i estimate maybe 10-15ft deep..has a huge tree thats fallen in the area, current is almost dead slow. set my clickers and place the rods in the holders, and within seconds, one rod starts giving line. This isnt your normal give and go that flatheads make..its more of a go stop go stop...basically just small soft clicks.
    So i pick the rod up slow, turn of the clicker and reel up as i do before i usually set the hook. then line goes slack. i reel up the bait and theres a chunk missing out of the middle almost like somebody took a knife and cut out a v shape. this happend about 5 times lastnight, within a matter of 1hr. turtle or spotted gar?? all though ive never seen gar in this area maybe this could be a first?:confused2: i wish i could have taken pics of the bait to show you guys what i mean... so needless to say i caught 1 channel about 6lbs and packed it up for the night. i dont think ill be fishing that area anymore:big_smile:

what you guys think>?

2. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Sounds like a turtle Shane, I've seen that meny times here on the New River, "v" shaped bite around here is a turtle as we don't have Gar in the New River.

3. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    thanks steve

thats what i figured, i coulda swore i brought it to the surface of the water it looked ob longed shaped, but even with my lanterns on its still so dark on the river.

4. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    we been having the same problem:angry: The worst we have seen in years. we prob. went through more then 2 1/2 doz. chubs in under 2 hours because of spotted gar:angry: the other day. they will bite then drop over and over till your bait is gone:angry: Dont know if is spawning time or what but its getting old:angry:

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wouldnt stop fishing the area. Fish the turtle out and eat it.:wink:

6. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Turtles, I was having that exact same problem while fishing with matahone last weekend. Sad thing is, I don't thing there is anything you can do about that. At one point I threw a whole hand sized gill in and within a half hour all that was left was the skull, the whole thing was stripped. I think it has something to do with the time of year, because this is normally about the time we start turtle fishing in indiana. While I was fishing with ronski we actually stumbled across some turtle eggs, so they are more active due to mating season. Like I said I don't think there is anything we can do to prevent turtles from taking our bait???

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Sounds like Gar or Turtle for sure. I was plagued by Gar yesterday. They kept on giving me huge pull downs but no hook sets. Had one on for about 10 seconds and he fought like a big flathead but came off. I know it was a Gar because they kept coming to the surface. I could've probally hand fed them, thats how thick they were.

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Probably a turtle IMO. I know one time i was fishin' a spot down here and there were turtles out in the lake everywhere anyway.. and i was bobber fishing and turtles hit my skipjack almost the whole time then one time i threw out let it sit maybe 15 mins later i see my bobber racing across the water i hang something it goes sooo fast towards the grass i couldnt turn it around.. any ideas what it coulda been?:eek:oooh:

9. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    many fishermen call it " the one that got away":smile2:

10. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    defidently sounds like every experience ive ever had with turtles!

11. MillvaleMauler

MillvaleMauler New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    i use creek chubs in the river, and whenever your bait drifts in gar will play with it as long as you let them, they like to tear them up pretty good too.

12. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Sgt said it well fish it out.. then move it dont really know about eatin it WTF but dont quit fishing the area

13. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    After readin this i'm glad we dont have gar in PA haha. We get the occasional turtle, but that's not a total loss cause that bad boy's headed for the dinner table everytime.

14. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    They say there's 7 kinds of meat on a turtle, you know. They all taste pretty good, too. I would get some smaller bait and hooks and catch whatever that is. Maybe eat it. Depends.... :wink:

15. gabby

gabby New Member

State:
    Texas
    Take a 6-8 hook, about 10in wire tie the hook to the wire put some weight on the line use a piece of beef or other tough meat, thro the line out in the river and tie it off to a tree a snapper will get it over nite good eating Gabby