Turtle For Supper ?

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by Cherokee, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Look Whats For Supper:wink::big_smile: 1st one weighed 14 lbs without its head

Attached Files:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    YUMMY!!! That looks like some good eating. Did you noodle or R&R? Either way,nice catch!!! :big_smile:

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Here is a couple more we caught 7 all together on trout lines and deer Meat for bait.

Attached Files:

4. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I've never eat a softshell before, but those snappers make for some good eating.

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    them look like some mighty fine eating....how about ya send a few this way

6. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I've had turtle but never prepared one myself, how do you guys go about preparing them for eating? and how do you cook them?

7. jukeboxjon

jukeboxjon New Member

State:
    illinois
    the way i clean them is to first get it to bite down on a stick and stretch its neck out for the chopping block then i drive a nail through its tail hanging from a fence post to bleed out , with a sharp knife i cut around the under shell and gravity does the gutting process i have found its easiier to skin the legs much like you would a catfish with a pair of needle nose once skinned reach in and twist legs free of top shell same with the neck in my opinion the best eating, i soak overnite in salt water and then prepare much like you would a frying chicken , some would parboil a larger turtle but i have never found them that tough and have eaten turtles 50 lbs or more (alligator snapper) soft shells are usually a lot more tender and not so gamey tasting i guess coming more from creeks an streams then the snappers i have harvested from farm ponds , hope that helps

8. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    ok, so basically the legs and neck are the edible portions of the turtle?

9. jukeboxjon

jukeboxjon New Member

State:
    illinois
    there is also some meat under the shell which tradionally is used in making turtle soup from i just never found enough meat there making it worthwhile myself

10. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Friend thgat help me caught them cleaned them all we kept was the legg and neck

11. This Guy

This Guy New Member

State:
    Texas
    The salt water must be an important step, 'cause the one I had, we just cut the legs off cooked 'em over the camp fire and ate them right off the bone. As hungry as I was, it wasn't that good.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yum. that meat under the ribs inside the shell is two white meaT STRIPS. i have a 20 # er im cleaning today.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    you sound like survivorman. lol.