Turtle creek reservoir in Sullivan, IN

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by biga, Aug 9, 2007.

1. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    just curious if any of the members fish at turtle creek ? i am planning of going to try it out in a few weeks but i was curious if anyone has any tips on fishing this lake since i have never been there before.. thanks!!

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    has anyone had any experience with this place ?

3. LafayetteRiverRunner

LafayetteRiverRunner New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I you fish from the bank down by the spillway its 13 ft poles and 4+oz weight. It's go gaint or stay at home because you won't be able to get out far enough. If you take a boat fish around the islands and any rip rap you find. If you can find weeds fish them.. Good luck.

4. riverfishinfool

riverfishinfool New Member

State:
    ohio
    when i was younger a freind and i went to this lake to bass fish, from what i saw most of the water was shallow, less than 5 feet, when we found water 8 to ten feet we caught a lot of nice bass. my biggest was only 3#s but my buddy caught 3 over 4#s and we caught a lot around 2#s. have never tried catfishing thou.

5. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    well i finally made it to turtle creek today and i loved it!!! if you have a wife or kids that you want to put on some fast action try this place .. my wife and i caught about 63 fish from 14" long up to a 12lb channel!between 2pm and 7pm! guy at the gate said we just missed a guy leaving with a 22lb channel and a 39llb flat and about 20 other eaters!!! if your in it for the fish try it !! if your looking for a trophy may not be the place...

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    where is turtle creek resivour at

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    about an hour and a half north of here in sullivan county.. hoosier energy powerplant..

8. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    right on ... if i get my truck goin ... i might make a trip up there soon ... if u wanna hit it together lemme know.

9. chris_ce

chris_ce New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I haven't fished there yet but I plan on going soon.
    The person I talked to said the end of being open overnight is the 18th.
    After that they will shut the place down at 10. That is only until duck season opens and they will shut the place down to all fishing.

So if you have plans to go best call first.

I heard from a friend that they are way overstocked on catfish because the water stays warm year round. Don't know if that is completely true or not but thats what I heard.

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    it is overstocked for sure!! they get mad if you throw them back.. [[thats what the dumpster by the dock is for!!!]] but man it is fun!! i got my outboard back from the shop so im ready to go again....

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Lived in Evansville until 1997 and my brother went to Indiana State about 20 minutes from there. When I visited him, we would go fishing there. We used shiners on bobbers and would catch 5lb bass and 15lb channels. we did catch alot of little ones on worms and livers. That place is definitely infested with small channels.

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    well im on my way to turtle creek again in about 5 minutes so i hope to have some pics this afternoon!!!!

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    well it was a little slower bite than the last time i went 2 weeks ago but still caught about 14 fish between 12-18" long 1 that was about 22" but had some kind of tumor on his side.. and i lost a nice flathead about 20lb to 30lbs right at the side of the boat[[slow net man!!]]:angry: but i still had a great day...

14. speeedman

speeedman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Fished turtle on the 14th -mostly in front of the dam and in front of the launch ramp -stayed in 20 fow. Only thing to report is a million small channels. Biggest was maybe 11" long. Had live gills on 3 poles most of the day -nothing. Samll ones ate anything. What part of the lake did you guys fish?

15. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    we always fish he hot water in the back of the lake... i never do any good in the front in the cold water....

16. speeedman

speeedman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks a bunch, next time down I will give that a try. Thinking maybe when it gets a little colder going again. Best of luck to you.

17. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    hope you have a gas motor!!! its a long way to the back with a trolling motor!!!!

18. speeedman

speeedman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    19 footer 115, 10 and trolling lol 27 gal tank

19. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the first time i went mygas motor quit in the back and i thought i would never make it home!!!!!

20. speeedman

speeedman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    biga - check you PM's when you get a chance.