Turtle Creek Res. in Indiana

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Wabash River Bear, May 23, 2009.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Went down to Turtle Creek Res. this evening to see if any baitfish were in around the ramps and spillway. I got to talking to one of the property managers while we were there about the flatheads and had many been taken lately. He said a couple guys took a 15 lb, an 18 lb, and a few 10 and under flats that afternoon. They claim to have had a hit and run that broke a driftmaster off the side of the boat, the guy supposedly just caught the rod butt before it hit the water, but ended up getting spooled on this monster.
    Seems the folks at Hoosier Energy had just recently done a fish survey (shock) and he had clued these guys in on the areas that produced the most flattys. These hot spots seemed to have paid off for these fellas. I got the lowdown, and some conformation from a local buddy. Me and Mrs. Bear are gonna load up with bait and hit the Res. for some flats tomarrow evening. Wish us luck. :wink:

2. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    good luck... if you do any good i might have to come up there also.

3. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve New Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Barry,you might have seen my son on the water, he took my tracker up there today.
    He was going to pull a all nighter but lights quit working :crazy: he worked on them got them to work for about another half hour called it quits at about 945.:sad2:
    He's probably going to work all night on the boat's lights in his buddy's shop.
    He said he is going to put in new switch and new wires all the way to battery so this don't happen again this season? :angry:

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good luck barry... Sounds like a hotspot ya found there bud!

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Lay into em with a vengeance Barry. Ya can't have stuff swimmin around breakin rod holders an such. Good luck buddy.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Barry,
    I will expect a report on my desk first thing in the morning:wink:
    ...W

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    oh man i bet your pumped, good luck guys! dont let her out fish you like Shane does it. :smile2:

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    good luck man, looking forward to the report!

9. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    We hit the water at T.C. at about 5:00 pm, cloudy overcast skies, light rain off & on, water temp 85.9, light wind. Bugs a plenty, the buffalo gnats were out in force, gonna have to get a couple of those hats with the bug netting on them if this keeps up.
    Bait was easy to come by, had a dozen bluegill and green sunfish in about 20 minutes on rod & reel and night crawlers.
    We headed to the area that we got tips on and set up shop. We fished one location in a wide channel between an island and the dam for about an hour and a half in 18.5' of water with no hits. We picked up and moved into shallower waters in a smaller channel (about 40 yds wide) between two coves into about 14.0' of water at the deep middle, anchored in the middle and fanned the lines out to the sides toward the shallows where we could see baitfish hitting bugs on top the water. We had some hits but no runs. Whats up? Everytime I would check bait, the gills were dead. If I hooked em behind the dorsal they died, through the tail they died. The flats were picking up the dead bait and spitting it out. I cant figure out why we couldnt keep bait alive on the hook for more than about a half hour. I know I wasnt hooking though the vitals. Only thing that I could figure is that they couldnt take the stress of being hooked and tethered in the hot water of the discharge lake. Needless to say, we ran out of bait quick, and the bugs were getting the better of us. We packed up and ran for cover at about 10 pm when a real good shower moved in on us.
    An old fellow caught a 31# flat less than a hundred yds from out last location, he was fishing way up in the coves in shallow water where the flats were feeding. They were hitting for him well before dusk around 6:30 or 7 pm. He was using gills and changing bait often. Seems he was having the same issues keeping bait alive on the hook.
    I guess the moral of the story for Turtle Creek is to catch about 3 times more bait than normal, change baits often, and hit the shallows early in the evening. The flatties are there, its not a rumor.
    If the rains back off this afternoon, we are going to hit it again this evening and try out what we have learned.

Attached Files:

10. shoot2thrill25

shoot2thrill25 New Member

State:
    TH, Indiana
    I hope you have some luck, their are some big ones in there. There have been some wierd thing in there too. They caught a pirhana in there earlier this year and they caught a really big python once upon a time. By the way I talked to you at speedway on allendale yesterday. We did pretty good, three flatties around 15 pounds a 20 pound flattie, a 10 and 9 pound blue and some small flatties and channels. Good luck talk

11. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Travis, glad to hear you guys had some luck. Congrats! We didnt end up going tonight, the rain and threatening skies kept us home tonight. If we dont hit T.C. one night this week, we are definately gonna hit it hard this weekend, weather permitting.

I had another thought on the dead bait issue. We had intended on stopping by the north end of the lake by the road where we always catch bait when we go to the river, so I filled my livewell at home with nice cool 60 something degree water. On the way down we just decided to catch bait on the water. So we caught bait out of 86 degree water and threw them into the cool livewell for an hour or so, then we stab them with an 8/0 and throw them back into the hot water. :eek:oooh: Next time we go to T.C. I'm just gonna fill my livewell at the lake. :wink:

12. shoot2thrill25

State:
    TH, Indiana
    When we went down there we caught our bait at a little pond and filld our baittank with water the same temp. which was probably 70-72 degrees. when were traveling we dont fill the tank all the way to keep it from spilling, but when we get there we put some more in from the lake in, so its kinda like we are being able to adjust them to it.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sounds like you better catch bait when you get there next time bear. did you try any cutbait? toss some cut baits into the thickest thrash you can find in the daylight hours,that mite be a good option in there.

14. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Ah, read my mind. LOL. Thats my plan for this weekend Tim. Thanks for the advice, I'll let ya know how it turns out.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If any of the Wabash is connected to Turtle Creek, then there should be flats down there.

Try fishing late into the night and you should up your chance of running into a flat.:cool2:

16. shoot2thrill25

State:
    TH, Indiana
    hey barry how often do you fish down there? me and a buddy go down there quite a bit.

17. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    I have fished on the lake a few times in the past, and I always go catch bait on the north side of the lake and down by the spillway, dam, and ramps when heading to the river down at Hutsonville or Merom, but mainly really just this year since they opened up the 10 hp engine rule. It's my backup plan for when the Wabash is too screwed up to fish.

18. shoot2thrill25

State:
    TH, Indiana
    Its our back up lake too. We fish for the small channels with ultra light tackle while were waiting on a big one to hit. We usually keep most of the little one since there are so stinkin many to stock some ponds with.