Turtle Creek: from feast to famine

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Ridgester, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Ridgester

Ridgester New Member

State:
    indiana
    Got a puzzler for u fishin experts. me and a buddy went to turtle creek on a friday morning at daybreak. very windy and storm looked like it was coming in all morning but it never did. the cats hit our bait almost as fast as it hit the water and for as long as we stayed ther. sounds great right. thats what we thought. So we went out the next evening at 6 PM to midnight or so, and nothing. I mean nothing..... its like someone turned off the switch. what can cause such a drastic change in the catfish behavior there? any theories? thanks.

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sometimes fronts moving in can cause the bite to pick up...then after the front has passed, the bite stops. I've noticed this from fishing, as well as watching other animals in nature. I've noticed that when any sort of front is moving in, the birds really attack the feeders just before the front moves in...like they're gearing up for a sudden change in living conditions for the next couple of days...my theory is that's what happens within the rest of the animal kingdom, including fish.

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Oh, and welcome to the brotherhood Earl!

4. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I totally agree!!!! Weather affects everything around us! When its raining outside you really don't see too much wildlife stirring, except for
    those darn geese! man they are everywhere!

P.S. Welcome to the BOC Earl!!!!!!

5. ErrorS

ErrorS New Member

State:
    indiana
    I've been fishing there almost every day since for months.. it was insane a while back, I was catching 20 2lb channels in an hour.. didn't have enough time for my bait to sink before I had one on during a morning shad run. After a busy weekend (and admittingly, a cold front) it just died and has been dead since..

last year it died for me near the middle of July and never really picked back up.. I was catching a few good channels a night, but not the 10+ i'm use to.

i'm seeing a lot of freshly hatched fish at the banks, lots of crawfish moving around not acting scared, more and more bluegills on the line every night I go back.. i don't think they're hiding, spawning, not eating, etc.. I think they're just gone.

Hit the shallow cove on the dirt road off of 700w if you wanna catch a few big fish, there are some flatheads that feed there. There are also two roads off of market st that you need a 4x4 for, these spots probably have a few big flats hiding.
    if you go to gettinger and try that cove in early night (sunset to about 10pm), then move to the outside mouth to the main lake later on, you'll catch a dozen channels on shrimp (bring different baits just in case) this time of year if it's not dead all over. I usually move over here in mid summer, you catch channels moving into the coves in early evening, then moving back out to open water later in the night (for whatever reason, i think it has something to do with the plant's schedule and some of the water currents). If you're catching tiny ones, give up for a few hours, the bigger ones are somewhere else.

people overfish this lake.. there isn't a whole lot of catch and release, people iether keep and eat them (it's one of the cleaner lakes in indiana) or they keep them for their ponds. It's become less of a fishing area and more of a fish farming area from what I've seen.

been fishing there overall for about 5 years, probably 50-100 trips per season. I've spent about 40 nights there this year so far (look for me in a blue CRV), hooked a 40lb flathead there about a month ago (off of 700w on nightcrawler).

6. ErrorS

ErrorS New Member

State:
    indiana
    oh!

something i noticed this year(i probably just discovered it), there are morning shad runs at the lake. The channel cats chase shad up to the banks in the smaller coves and it's like a feeding frenzy.. it only happens during daybreak in the spots I know.

the fish move together, it has something to do with the plant schedule. You have to chase them all over the lake if you wanna find them.. one spot can produce cats one after another at 7am, but you wont catch a single one at 2am. They roam, all night long..

check water temps and log them to find where the cats are, there is definitely a pattern.

7. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Weather fronts have a huge impact on fishing. You should also key in on water temp during your trips. Usually in the spring the fish start getting real active and start feeding up hard and you can catch them easy and at shallower depths. As the water warms the bite slows way back or no bite at all at times. The fish might be there or they might have moved back out to deeper water where the water temp is a little cooler. Generally I like to fish shallow in the spring and fall but much deeper in the summer. Try fishing places that have deep water near by a shallow flat, point, hump or even the main channel. You will find that most times the fish have just moved out a little from where you are use to catching them. The other big one is the bait fish. If the bait fish are there then the cats are there. Look for the bait fish and start fishing that area.