Turpentine Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by 7mmmag1, Oct 1, 2009.

1. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have been fishing shrimp a lot this summer. A buddy of mine was saying the other day that I should try soaking them in pure turpentine, it makes the catfish go nuts. I am not sure about this as I am not sure if it would hurt the fish, and I am seriously worried about eating them if theyve ingested this stuff. What do you think?

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Daniel i think you just opened up a can of worm's lol Welcome to the BOC:smile2:

3. catrick1

catrick1 New Member

State:
    calif.
    Hey Daniel I've heard of hot dog chunks soaked in Marvel Mystery Oil or wd40 but never anything soaked in turpentine. Good luck

4. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I would think that it is poisonous and would be killing some fish. I don't know. I never heard of that one.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Daniel forget the suggestion. We don't need to add chemicals to the water. If you want to enhance the shrimp, just soak in garlic over night.

6. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hey bro', don't do that. It probably wouldn't hurt you to eat a fish caught on the stuff (no time to digest it), but you don't wanna put that crap in the water.

Garlic is a very strong add-in that is non-toxic. Take your shrimp and DROWN them in garlic powder and leave them in the sun for a couple of days. Between the garlic marinade and the rotten shrimp, they'll kick arse!

7. 7mmmag1

7mmmag1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well, I have had pretty good luck with just letting the shrimp defrost over night or in the bed of the truck all day, wasn't really planning on using the turpentine because I didn't think it would be good for the water and fish, plus it might be illegal. Just wanted to know if anybody on here had used anything like that or if they knew if it would harm the fish.

8. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    There are so many old rumors and gimmicks floating around. It always makes me wonder if the ingredients get mixed up over the years of passing the "recipie" along. might as well pour a gallon of gas in the water for all the turpentine will do for you(please don't anybody do this). 7mmmag1 you sound like you don't need any silly gimmicks to catch fish! everybody use your head and if ya gotta try something silly keep it environmentally SAFE! Tell your friend that if I see anybody throwing fuel product soaked anything into the water I'm going to come unglued on them,and I hope you do to!

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks to you Skunk there is going to be kids blowing up there moms oven...hahaha....reason i know, i tried it....haha...JK :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::wink::wink::wink::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with Micky. The water has too many chemicals in it already. I say eat the shrimp and buy some secret 7 bait or something from one of our sponsors.:wink:

11. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Turpentine is an organic solvent organic made from tree sap id say soak it up and trow it out

12. KillerKilgore

KillerKilgore New Member

State:
    Pike County, Ky
    Don't use it. It is TOXIC.

this is from the OSHA website

"...
    Summary of toxicology
    1. Effects on Animals: Turpentine is an eye, mucous membrane, and skin irritant and a central nervous system depressant in animals.
    ..."

and

"...
    2. Effects on Humans: Turpentine is a skin, eye, mucous membrane, and upper respiratory tract irritant in humans. It may also cause skin sensitization and central nervous system, gastrointestinal, and urinary tract effects. The lowest estimated oral dose reported to be lethal in humans is 441 mg/kg [RTECS 1989]. Exposure to a 75-ppm concentration for 3 to 5 minutes irritates the nose and throat, and exposure to a 175-ppm concentration irritates the eyes and may be considered intolerable by human volunteers [Grant 1986, p. 961; Proctor, Hughes, and Fischman 1988, p. 500]. Ingestion of turpentine causes a burning pain in the mouth and throat, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, excitement, ataxia, confusion, stupor, seizures, fever, and tachycardia and may cause death due to respiratory failure [Proctor, Hughes, and Fischman 1988, p. 500].
    ..."

so Daniel, just use the shrimp as you have done in the past and LEAVE THE TURPENTINE OUT!

KillerKilgore

13. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I don't think that is some thing I'd put into the water.
    Welcome to the USCA

14. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    No don't use it ever. The garlic is the way to go, or add vanilla, or add kool-aid powder, or add, you get the point. Catfishing is about concoctions, the more the better. Part of the fun is telling folks what you caught them on and seeing their reactions.

15. tightline_69

tightline_69 New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebra
    Stick with non toxic ways to fish. Heck ya wanna drive fish crazy and still be able to eat them, toss some exploding blackpowder capsules in the water. Yes I have done before but then got the heck outta dodge before the game warden showed up. No need to add more chemicals to already tainted water, that's what we have city council and government for. You don't wanna put them out of a job do ya. LOL

16. belliott

belliott New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    Turpentine sounds kinda scary to me, I use it to kill ticks, If I get ate up.:secret:

I you want to try soaking your bait in something. Try Anise oil. I have heard of people soaking raisins in the stuff and catching lots of channel cats. I've never tried it, but some folks swear by it. You can pick it up at most any pharmacy or health food store.

17. tattoobarry

tattoobarry New Member

State:
    Virginia
    That does sound bad. I would not use it.
    Wd40 Does work for some species of fish and is non toxic.
    I know a guy that used it all the time for trout with much luck.

18. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a buddy that almost exclusively fishes with shrimp soaked in catfish formula. He tears the channels up on the stuff. Don't use the turpentine.