Turning my attention BACK to the National Gathering

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by sal_jr, Jul 14, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Serious question here...

Who among the michigan members really wants to go to the gathering, who would be willing to carpool, and how can we do this on the cheap?

Here is the scoop- I may have some time off during august and september, and I really want to know what I can do with my time and how much it will cost me. I cant help but magine what its gonna be like to shake the hands of the men and women who have made me laugh here, made me think, amd made me really really get ideas off my chest that I dont normally drag out in public.

I sorta really want to go... but it would have to be bare bones for me to make it.

So what can I do to make it possible??

If I get a concrete cost, I may be able to afford it.

Best I can think of is to carpool. Don... Vic? Tony? Jross?

What would it cost us?

For me the drive from my house would be 640 miles. At my gas rate in my explorer, gosh... that would be 3 tanks there and 3 tanks back. At 3 bucks a gallon we're talking 288 bucks just to get there and back. Food you have to factor in 30 per day- how many days does any pooler from michigan want to go? 4 days? 5 days?

What about camping? I can bring a small 2 man tent, but it is sorta uncomfortable.

cost is 40 bucks per person for the 3 days.

What about boats? I sure am not going to pull mine for the distance and price we're talking. My trans will fall off! It would have to be a bank fishing excursion or we would have to get on someone else's boat.

who is seriously interested?

If we can get 2 others from michigan to pool in, then our costs could be rounded down for a 4 day trip to just under 300 per person. I may be able to do that.

So lets talk!

Ill be back on monday to hammer away at the idea again. I have a hundred saved right now. Im thinking I can get another 200 by then... so lets talk. If I can get 300 by then, lets REALLY talk!

Sal

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sal good luck brother, I really hope you are able to make it. If I iived up that way I would carpool with ya for sure. Looks like I may be going by myself so sharing the cost would be great.

Brothers, this is a time that wont want to be missed. The first National Gathering, there will never be another first.

Hope to see you there Sal.

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    And what do you think of this idea....

Leave a set location at midnight on Thursday the 14th- as in wednesdy night. Drive till morning hitting a few coffee stops on the way down and acclimating ourselves to the nightime.

arrive, set up, sleep.

Then leave sunday morning and drive all the way back.

I can bring my cooler and a few bags of brats for us to eat, some canning, etc.

We can shave the costs too this way. lets keep talking!

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    baitfish, thanks.

I may take you up on this if these fellas cannot go.

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Sal, I sure wish you the best. I would like to meet you. make the National.

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Sal-
    Its not going to work for me, unless we can get the BOC to move it back a week to the 21st, 22nd, & 23rd.
    I have to be in Northern Kentucky (Covington area) the 20th & 21st on business, and two trips to KY in 10 days won't work out.
    Maybe there's a BOC Brother there who can take me out on the Ohio while I'm down there anyway!
    Good luck,
    Tony

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Sal been thinking about it for quit some time lets talk!

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I still can't plan if I can go or not due to my job..
    If I knew and we were closer, I'd deffinatly pick ya up for free :big_smile:

The Conversation on the way down would make the drive seem short hehehe.

9. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Sal, you know I am interested. I have never paid 300 dollars to get to Kentucky and back in gas, but I am interested. ROTFLOL. Of course when I traveled down that way the gas was around $2.30 I think. No, take that back...it was about 15 cents cheaper than that. Jeez, it's hard to imagine that fuel has went up 80 cents a gallon in roughly nine months.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Sure hope ya'll can come. You can figure 30.00 a day for food but you'll have trouble spending that much, unless you want to put a suit on and eat at J. Edwards every meal.
    Alot of good bank fishing is available on these lakes so a boat, while handy, is not a must have.
    Looking forward to meeting ya'll.

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Don and Vic...

Ok, so if you two go then we're looking at 3 in the Explorer- A full load but not uncomfortable for an SUV. If we split the gas down the middle it would be 96 apiece- VERY DOABLE.

Add the 40 each for campsite- now we have 136 apiece. 4 days at 30 each in food and bait... now we're at 256 each. Round it up to 260- in case we stop for a beer to celebrate our arrival. Heck- its kentucky- Lets stop for a mint julep. ROTFL.

Ill bring the cooler full of ice and brats and such and we all can add a little of our own stuff to it, cutting costs and allowing us to bring some cash and maybe a fish or two home. You know Elenas gonna make us something for the road... she never fails.

NOW HOW DOES IT SOUND?!?!

I have to get my butt working. I didnt make the cash I would have this year guiding cause it was tough, but if I can spit out the car parts Im making in my other side job, Ill have 300 to play with.

LETS TALK!!!! Where are you fellas at with this- If the 3 of us go, I can afford it for near-sure!

C'mon!!! Talk to me!

Ill attach a 9 foot PVC pipe to the roof and we have storage for some rods that way. I may bring 2 of them since I got em anyhow and they hold very well.

12. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hay don't forget the fishing licence we going to bank fish or what!

13. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I haven't been there (Lakes Kentucky & Barkley), since 1983, but back then it was DRY, and we had to go to Paducah to get beer- or maybe that was Nolin...
    I'm sure there's been a lot of changes in 23 years, but check to be sure.

Now that I'm older & wiser, I could get by on RC Cola for a weekend.

14. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Sounds like a nice preliminary plan Sal regarding the road. Whatever we can pack in food and supplies will certainly help to cut down on expenses while on the road and at the destination. I say we should scratch the idea of trying to figure in hauling a boat for this excursion. Yes, it would be nice to have, but it is a luxury we don't necessarily need. Bank fishing in the south is far better at most locations than it is here, and judging by the reports people that live there WITH boats are getting skunked quite often on fish. LOL. It would be a shame to drag a boat all the way down there just to experience that. Besides, if you guys really want to get into some boat fishing I'm sure a few of the local brothers would be glad to accomodate you. I fished from a boat both of the times that I went down south to meet members. We should count it as a blessing that we are able to make it down there financially WITHOUT the boat. LOL.

I don't remember what the permit rate was for Kentucky. The one I got covered three days because we fished Friday, Saturday, and part of Sunday. We just have to look that up online and figure in the cost.

From a scheduling standpoint, the easy part is knowing when we would have to return, but what time of day do you guys really want to leave? I am a big fan of leaving at o' dark thirty (somewhere between two and three), but that's without having to link up with anyone along the way. LOL. My general excitement for getting down there usually jumpstarts me on that day. However, if we leave from my house no later than 6 a.m. we would arrive in Indy around 10 a.m. to beat the morning and lunch rush. This would get us in that area sometime around 4 or 5 in the afternoon after we deduct that hour for central time. I'm assuming this is all happening on Thursday. We could plan on fishing that night at this honey hole that I know has yielded a fish or two. We can cop some Z's at the fishing hole if we need to, so we are well rested for the next day's festivities. So what is a good movement time for you guys to start stirring?

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    great plans in the making.... Guys, I like what Im reading.

Ok... fishing license... we will deal with a 3 or 7 day license when we get there- no biggie.

As for driving, heck... Don... your wife wont mind dropping you at I-75 and M-57 would she? This way I could go down 57 and pick you up at the highway right at the kmart lot on the east side of the road on the way to vic's recon-point. Im an o-dark-thirty guy too, but I would not complain if we picked Vic up at 12:00AM on thursday and got there at 9am thursday morning for setup and sleep time. That way we'd be shifting driving duties tween the three of us and we can make the most of the daytime. It would set us up for night activity for the next few days. As for Sunday, well.... we can wake and go. I can clear a site in 30 minutes... and still be 15 minutes down the road by then if you get my drift.
    I have a rustic tent- If you guys have one as well, Im sure 3 small tents like mine would fit in one rental space... just a thought. Save 80 bucks tween the three of us that way- money spent on our licenses.

16. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I can roll that way as far as camp sites go providing each site will hold three tents. I'm betting we can swing that no problem. Let me find out for sure...

17. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    I think i read that you can't have more than one tent per site have to look into to that.

18. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Sal how about i meat you at your house and leave my truck there.

19. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Don that would be fine. come by my place and leave the truck there.

I snore... otherwise Id have no problem with you fellas in my tent. Actually Id have no problem either way- you would likely have the problem. heh heh

20. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

I've got some 100 mph tape that will take care of the snoring problem, but I wouldn't do a brother like that! ROTFLOL!

I figured you guys could work out the logistics between the two of you, but where and how do I fit into the equation? Would you come through the Metro area, or would I have to meet you somewhere? I mentioned going through Indy, but neglected mentioning going through Ohio which is another option by taking 75 south. That would be a straight shot from my house as opposed to having to take I-94 to I-69. The only reason I took I-69 down there last time was because I fished with Metalman, and left my vehicle at his house outside of Indy. I realize that I-69 is right there for you guys out of Ithaca. Give me some thoughts...